Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 5 acres of open field with a 400ft of bar ditch down one side. That's about the only obstacle other than the house and a dozen or so tree'lings we are putting in this year.

Do I really want a ZTR or a tractor? :confused:

Leaning toward the ZTR to save mowing time.:yes: Some of the tractors seem pretty darn fast though?:cool:...and you can do more with them.

The grass is getting taller, I need to make a decision....:(

I will need a trailer, and will most likely finance the whole thing so I dont break the bank.

Can anybody recommend one over the other? Grasshopper, Toro, Simplicity, Hustler, etc.....TOO MANY CHOICES!!!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Do you need a bagger with that?
Do you need to pull a spreader or anything else?
Plan on a garden or landscaping?
The ZTRs are nice and fast but do have drawbacks, who has the best dealer in the area for parts and service. The rougher the yard the slower you go and it also pounds the mower to pieces. I like the Simplicity line and dealers they provide the best cut. Take a look at the Simplicity tractors and then compare to others.

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
I got the Cub Cadet ZTT zero turn tractor last month and it is awesome because it gave me the best of both worlds, and cut my mowing time from 45 to 10 minutes. Go see one at The Home Depot and you decide.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bagger: No
Spreader: No
Garden: Yes (I figured I would buy a walk behind tiller for that)

Someone also recommended getting one with suspension for the bumpy ground since you are mowing at such a high rate of speed. I'll check out the Simplicity line. Anything else that makes them stand out for you?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the Cub Cadet ZTT zero turn tractor last month and it is awesome because it gave me the best of both worlds, and cut my mowing time from 45 to 10 minutes. Go see one at The Home Depot and you decide.
Would it handle 5 acres ? I have drooled over what people call the "big box" mowers but people have also told me that they are basically light duty machines. :(

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
for 5 acres, you want a full blown commercial ZTR mower. I am a Hustler fan and former owner, and I would highly recommend them..they are among the fastest and well built. Exmark is another popular one. My dad had a Kubota that was nice too.

Dixie Choppers are fast too and seem to have a good rep, but I always feel that they look like they were made in shop class.

Some of my other neighbors had Cub Cadet Commercial M48 Tanks..they are pretty nice too, but a bit heavy and slow compared to others, but they were a decent deal for the money at the time.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I've been looking at the Gravely's. There's a place around here that sells the 52" cut models for right at 3 grand. I've heard nothing but good things about them and I will eventually own one.

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
I bought a Gravely a couple years ago. It's a 15hp 34" zero turn & I love it.:thumbsup: This thing is built better than the 50" mowers at the "box" stores. It has a fabricated steel deck, Not a stamped POS that gets stress cracks when you work it. Take a look at a Gravely, I think you will like them. Also has a hitch on it already, A lot of the ZT mowers have no hitch. I use mine for thatching & sweeping with no problems.
If you have a ditch to mow, Don't try & go lengthwise with a ZT, go across it if possible.
Whatever mower you decide on, Check the deck out real close. I see a lot of 10-15 year old mowers that run fine but the deck is junk.:sad: Keep that in the back of your mind while looking.

Just my $0.02
LK

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I bought a Gravely a couple years ago. It's a 15hp 34" zero turn & I love it.:thumbsup: This thing is built better than the 50" mowers at the "box" stores. It has a fabricated steel deck, Not a stamped POS that gets stress cracks when you work it. Take a look at a Gravely, I think you will like them. Also has a hitch on it already, A lot of the ZT mowers have no hitch. I use mine for thatching & sweeping with no problems.
If you have a ditch to mow, Don't try & go lengthwise with a ZT, go across it if possible.
Whatever mower you decide on, Check the deck out real close. I see a lot of 10-15 year old mowers that run fine but the deck is junk.:sad: Keep that in the back of your mind while looking.

Just my $0.02
LK
10/4 on the old decks. I'm currently still using my 1984 model Ariens which runs great, but the deck is total crap. A Gravely is getting closer though!:D

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The things I want:

Fast (not sure what "fast" is...7, 9, 11 mph?....how bout acres/hr ?)
smooth ride (large tires or suspension)
Decent pricetag (under 4k would be great...7k max???)
good cut
front mount deck, for no particular reason... (I like the grasshopper because you can tilt the deck up for maintenance)
large deck (around 54" or bigger)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...Take a look at a Gravely, I think you will like them. Also has a hitch on it already, A lot of the ZT mowers have no hitch. I use mine for thatching & sweeping with no problems.
...LK
How do you thatch and sweep with the ZT ?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
The good mowers are not available at the big box stores, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. My local dealers treat their customers great when you buy it there and ask and understand what you need. Go to a big dealer and ask questions about what makes a good mower good. Some of the low line mowers have the BIG engines and that is it, the rest of the unit is junk. My Deutz is made by Simplicity and is built like a tank with a heavy duty front axle and hydrostatic drive. Some of the cheap units out there use belt drives and have serious problems and maint issues. If you look at just the biggest deck you will most likely buy junk, smaller units are more expensive when built better. Don't even think about any of the Sears junk, they are not what they used to be. The low end Deere units at Big Box are junk as well. Research and go to many LOCAL DEALERS who sell and SERVICE equipment. If they don't service units there just keep walking, they only sell units and your stuck if nobody services them. Parts are just as critical and more then blades and filters, sandy soil eats up bearing fast. Mower spindles can get costly and can get torn up by rocks and such.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Deere ZTR here, but it is a REAL John Deere! Don't buy one at the local home depot, they are junk, go to the local farm or tractor supply shop near you. There is a reason for the huge difference in the money. :yes: Sturdier construction, replaceable/serviceable parts, independent hydrostatic drive motors, ect. The stuff you find at the large chain stores for the "great deals" are usually just throw away models when they wear out. But, with that said, I was at the local Lowes the other day, and they had a bunch of high end consumer/entry level commercial mowers there. I lifted up the seats on them, saw the made in usa tag on them, and also the dealer tag (not Lowes). I'm guessing Lowes was being the middle man and they had a deal with that company.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductC....ProdCatProduct?pNbr=SKU21898&tM=HO&link=enav

Oh, and don't forget about Dixon, they make great ZTR's as well!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gravely or Ariens. Both quality products, especially if you have a local dealer that can provide you with support and maintenence. The equipment is made to last indefinitely.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Between $4-$7k? That’s a tough one. ZTR are pricey but well worth money for the time saved mowing... I own a Dixon Ram ZTR 44" cut. http://www.dixon-ztr.com/

With 5 acres I would suggest a commercial size mower 50" cut or larger. You will still need something smaller (like a push Mower) to get close to your house and around trees.
I use just a weed eater with my 44" cut ZTR mower. Total time for me spent cutting 1 acre with a building and trees is about 45 minutes. I tow a broadcast spreader and a small garden trailer. Plus I can tow my 5x10 utility trailer (empty) to reposition it in the barn.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would say what ever brand you get make sure in has a heavy duty deck ( mine is a 7 gauge deck TORO ) As mentined the thinner deck won't last and I would also say DON'T get one with non-greasable (maintenance free) bearings, when they use up the factory grease and go out you have to replace the entire assembly. I keep mine greased every year and have not had to replace a bearing yet. I have 4 acres and it used to take me 4 hrs or more to do it all now with my ZTR I get the whole thing done in about 2 hrs.

MrBreez

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would say what ever brand you get make sure in has a heavy duty deck .....I have 4 acres and it used to take me 4 hrs or more to do it all now with my ZTR I get the whole thing done in about 2 hrs.

MrBreez

That's the kind of mowing time I'm talking about :thumbsup:. Any idea on your MPH? All of the input I am receiving is helping me. Thanks Everybody! I want to visit some dealers this week.

I have seen several mentions of Gravely for whatever reason. Some things I will look for when purchasing:

Service/Warranty
Greasable (not "maintenance free")
Welded/fabbed deck as opposed to a stamped deck for durability

Any opinions on a mid-mount versus a front mount deck?

Between $4-$7k? That’s a tough one. ZTR are pricey but well worth money for the time saved mowing... I own a Dixon Ram ZTR 44" cut. http://www.dixon-ztr.com/
......I tow a broadcast spreader and a small garden trailer. Plus I can tow my 5x10 utility trailer (empty) to reposition it in the barn.
Yes, I bet I end up on the high side of those figures... I am liking the idea of a hitch.

It's a pull behind thatcher & a pull behins sweeper, Works great.:thumbsup:

LK
Nice!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts