Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

I'm looking to replace the hacked ss-style dash in my 70 ragtop, and I remember seeing posts about some of the 70-72 Monte Carlo dashes that don't have the big 1/2 inch holes drilled through them but instead have some small slots along the edges that can be fixed. Is there a specific year that doesn't have the holes? Does anyone know for sure? Thanks in advance!

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50
ACES #3784

'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
and the latest - '70 Malibu 454!

See them all at the all-new Rainer's Hot Rod Shop!
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
1972 is the only year, and then 90% of them have the seat belt light which would be wrong for your 70. If you dont mind the light then it is a bolt in swap...I have had around 30-40 monte dashes over the years and the 70/71s always had the holes.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't know if it was a year thing or a plant thing, but I have seen Monte dashes with only 4 holes drilled and the 4 slots. I have never seen a Monte Dash with NO holes at all though. The worst and most common one being the one drilled right through the Wiper words.

------------------
72 SS coupe clone & 68 ragtop, 69 ragtop. www.NoNecksChevelle.com

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
I lucked out and got one with the slots only. I thought it was a '71 but it does have an extra rectangular hole over by the lighter. Funny thing though, there was nothing behind the hole! No light or lense, don't remember about the wiring. It does have the knobs with the symbols on them so it must have been a '72.

------------------
Doug, Chevl71
Team Chevelle member #625
Gateway Area Chevelle Club member CM028

chevl71 homepage

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I found a 72 which had the slots and the rear window deffoger switch hole(about 1"), and a 71 with slots and the small holes. This worked out good for me, I used the 72 and mounted my torque converter control switch there.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!

I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
another shot of Ol Paint

1 - 5 of 5 Posts