Team Chevelle banner

Which Wiper do I have Recessed or non?

11K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  klasicjon 
#1 ·
I have a 1969 4-speed - original SS 396. My wiper is dysfunctional ... not working .. or smokes the wires while it's working!!! Anyway I'm ordering a new wire harness, and in the process M & H needs to know whether I have "Recessed" wipers or not .. how do I tell??

Ron H
SS 396
Rdhelmer@stcs.org

#6 ·
... ... oh-h-h-h ! ..h-m-m-m, mine looks exactly like the above pic ... as in 1badss396 ... AND has double linkage as Keith says ... but am confused with ... never mind, just re-re-read the posts here. Got it. I have recessed then. ...

But guys - the wipers really don't hide themselves at the end of the stroke ... the lay on the windshield just above the 2" wide chrome strip that runs the lengith across the windshield. Why do they call them "recessed" then???

Also do you have source ofr replacing this motor?? The units available form OPG, etc. I have gotten and sent back .. the replacements they sell for the 69 do not look like my unit at all, and have differnet wiring connectors .. and look like the ones that came on the 1970 SS396.

#7 ·
can you see them sticking up above the rear hood edge? if you can, they're not functioning properly, a new motor might cure the problem, i think when they're cycling they stop short of the stainless strip and then drop down a bit more when turned off....(if i remember correctly, i'm not sure since i live in phoenix and checked the "wiper delete" box, when i smoothed my firewall)

#10 ·
On some cars they used a adapter plate. It looks to me that if the firewall was a certain stamping that was actually for a non recessed wiper car then they had a plate that moved the motor out about 1/2 inch and allows it to work properly. My Elcamino is that way.

Dave

#11 ·
For 68 & 69 the firewall is stamped so that the non recessed wiper motor mounts directly to it. If the recessed wiper is installed an adaptor plate is needed.

For 70, 71 & 72 the firewall is stamped so that the recessed wiper mounts directly to it. If the non recessed wiper is used an adaptor plate is needed.

The PIC shows the adaptors used. Top is 68-69

Attachments

#12 ·
I have the recessed wipers on my 68 too. Mine were like yours, they parked above the chrome strip. There's an adjustment on the linkage to fix the park position. I think it's on the linkage, in the cowl (been a while since I messed with it). Take the screen off the cowl on the driver side, and look at the linkage. You might be able to adjust the park position down lower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.