Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, my brother said he would fork out some money for a welder for my christmas presnet. I dont know which one to get. I dont know which is better. ARC or MIG??? I saw that one ARC welder had the cappablitly to cut holes too.. that would be conveniant but still im not sure??? can you guys help?? im just using it for standard hot rod stuff. wire feed or stick??? please help =)
thanx guys

------------------
Justin McIver
Sacramento CA
66-454-th350

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mig is much better for auto body work and general welding. Expect to pay $500 for a good home unit.( Hobart, Lincoln, Miller)and another $125 for argon gas & bottle.

Patrick

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is one area i have alot of experience. First of all forget about using and arc to cut it just isn't practicle. sencond the only thing an arc is really good for on cars is welding the frame. but with 1/16 rod you can do almost anything if you have considerable skill. buddy of mine has a miller 185 mig. that is the olny way to go. i laided a perfect bead the fist time i toughed a mig. took a few months to get good with the arc. we weld everything and any thing with the mig. so ifyou are going to do body work go with the mig, if your welding dozer blades go with an arc. jmo

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really cant afford much in the Mig range. I need to do some frame work, and the only mig I can afford is a 90 or 115 amp units. is that enought to do frame work??? I can get a ARC 230amp for cheaper than a mig.
I just dont know???
thanx guys

------------------
Justin McIver
Sacramento CA
66-454-th350

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Mig is the only way to go. Buy from a welding shop they will let you try out the rig first. another advantage is they let you trade in on bigger units and help with parts and repair.

G

·
Forget the stick welder...they have no place working on cars IMO.

Also, the little portable Migs are fine for sheetmetal, but ate lacking for anything over 1/8". If you cannot afford a 175+ amp Mig right now, then save your money until you can. The $500 100 amp Migs are a waste of money IMO. I've made the mistake twice and have had two of these machines. My current Mig is a Century 105 amp which is nicely made and works well, but I don't use it on anything over 1/8"...it just doesn't have enough amperage and seems to lose control of the arc at the higher settings...the bead doesn't lay doewn nice and flat, rather the bead sits up high on the metal telling me it didn't penetrate like it should have.

This is a big purchase, so learn form my mistakes and save your money for a larger unit where you'll have more flexability for down the road, not just enough for your project today.

My next Mig welder is gonna be a Lincoln PowerMig 255.

------------------
Malibumotorsports
79 Malibu, 414 ci BBC, 3550 lbs.
10.75 @ 125 mph, 1.49 60'

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I 3rd what Todd and Vegaman have said. I am in the same boat as Todd. I bought what thought was all I would ever need for a welder. It was the largest 110 unit I could find the ESAB 150. The sellsman at the welding shop said it would be fine for anything up to 1/4" plate. It works OK for sheetmetal and up to 1/8 plate. Anything above that it just doesn't cut it.
I have since found a much better welding shop with guys that are not full of s**t. Like where I bought this one. Unfortunaly I will be buying a new welder next year.

PS I also made this same mistake with an air compressor. Save up and buy what you need not what you think you will need.

Happy Holidays,
Richard

------------------
The new project..
65 Riviera
78 Malibu and Power Tour 2001
-66,000 org. miles
-orig. paint
-orig. int
-orig. V6
-almost all the above is true
67 Wagon
project soon to be LT1 / 4L60E / 12 bolt posi daily driver

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hobart 135. Runs on 110v has 10ft leads and is a lot sturdier than the other "econo" units. I can get all the supplies for it at welding shops. I have a friend who has a small Century he bought at Sams Club years ago. He uses the crap out of it and it's held up well. Stay away from the Chicago Electric Italian jobs that Harbour Freight sells. They break and you can't get parts.
Just my 2c
Go to http://www.hobartwelders.com/talk
They have a very active BB with some good folks. It's a lot like here.

[This message has been edited by hoffman7476 (edited 12-23-2001).]

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
What problems have you had with the 110volt machines and 1/4in plate? I have welded heavier than that with my Lincoln 100amp. I use .035 core wire but it works fine.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Ditto on the Hobart 135 Handler. It's the best bang for the buck, and is repairable. That means, if it ever does give you any problems, any welding supply house that does in-house repairs can fix it. This is a quality machine, not a throw-away.

G

·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Feudo:
What problems have you had with the 110volt machines and 1/4in plate? I have welded heavier than that with my Lincoln 100amp. I use .035 core wire but it works fine.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

100 amps just isn't enough to get 100% penetration. The bead make look good on the top, but is no where near welded completely through.

I've taken 1/8" steel and welded a pass with my 105 amp Mig turned all the way up, then make a pass with my 175 Lincoln Tig set at 150 amps (two pieces of 1/8" flat stock, butt welded). The 150 amp setting will show penetration on the underside showing the amperage needed for complete penetration, even though the process is different. Fillet joints take even more amperage than a simple butt or lap weld does.

The portable Mig manufactures are way overrating their machines and inexperienced welders are decieved into thinking they are getting 100% penetration. I would NEVER weld a .135 roll bar with my 105 amp Mig...just not enough amperage to get 100% penetration...I would not feel safe sitting in a car with a bar welded with a small Mig machine under 175 amps...250 is prefered. I use a 250 amp machine on a daily basis and the weld penetration and quality is night and day to my little Mig.

------------------
Malibumotorsports
79 Malibu, 414 ci BBC, 3550 lbs.
10.75 @ 125 mph, 1.49 60'

[This message has been edited by Todd Geisler (edited 12-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I just got done backhalfing my vette and putting in a 8 point roll bar.I used a craftsman 115 amp mig(made by century for sears)The practice pieces I used i cut open and got good penitration.The salesman at art morrison where I bought the chassis kit said that was all I would need.I also asked boiler makers where I work if it would be enough and they said it would work fine.So I don't think its necessary to get a big mig welder if you are doing body work and work on a car.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow thanx guys, this really helped. looks like im forking out a little extra for the Lincoln weld pak 100 with the MIG conversion. cause im really not planning on doing too much thicker than 1/8" (frame)
thanx again

------------------
Justin McIver
Sacramento CA
66-454-th350

·
Registered
242 Posts
Get the Hobart 135 & a bottle, the little Lincoln is junk. bigger Lincolns might be good, but I wouldn't get the Mig-Pak series. This is definitely good up to 3/16" in a single pass. Clean your work well and take your time. If possible, buy locally, so you get a relationship going with your welding supply store. Some of them will match the mail-order price if you show them the catalog.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big James 4XL:
Whoa HOBART? The LIncoln is not "junk"! I've used one to many times to let that by. That statement will not flush with me!

Respectfully, Big James.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that. I've been using the Lincoln Weld-pac 100 (with the MIG kit) from Home Depot for about a year now with great results! It's a great tool for people that can't spend over $1000 on a welder, as long as you know it's limitations. I can't imagine not having a welder anymore (any welder!). I'd love to have a bigger, better unit, but that will have to wait.

-Joe

·
Registered
770 Posts
Compare the company specs for the Hobart and The Lincoln or the Miller and you'll find that there isn't much difference for the similar models. The Hobart, however, claims a slightly lower ability in the thickness of the steel it can weld. Maybe they are just more conservative, but in any case, it does not mean that any of these three are "junk".

------------------
Bob McCormick
69 Malibu project

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.