Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to run down some possible fuel restriction issues. It was suggested I install a new filter in the original 66 Holley 3419 carb.

I am not sure the filter was installed the correct way, so I thought I had better ask before I install a new filter. It's kind of a bronze filter in the shape of a cylinder with a cone shape in the middle.

Also wondering if the gasket between the fuel inlet and the fuel bowl should be a paper gasket or a metal gasket? Maybe Eric will see this? Thanks,

· Registered
515 Posts
Open side usually goes towards the incoming fuel,the cone is part of the design.
The instructions posted shows it going the opposite way though.:confused:

· Registered
310 Posts
The picture and instructions are correct. See how the spring has something to rest upon? The reason the spring is there, is when/if the filter gets clogged, fuel pressure can move the filter back and the carb can still get gas, albeit not as much. Running like a rag would make one notice that hey, it might be clogged.

· In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
25,548 Posts
gasket is paper, cone faces the incoming fuel, spring goes behind the filter, pushing it against the paper gasket.

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Don't mean to be disagreeable, but for a daily driver-type deal the bronze filters are just fine. They don't pose much of a flow restriction either--my 496 made 534 HP through them (and the factory 5/16" feed lines).

Cheap insurance, easy to service. Leave `em in. :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
1970 SS454 LS6 11 second street car
19,821 Posts
Don't mean to be disagreeable, but for a daily driver-type deal the bronze filters are just fine. They don't pose much of a flow restriction either--my 496 made 534 HP through them (and the factory 5/16" feed lines).

Cheap insurance, easy to service. Leave `em in. :thumbsup:
X2
One of the members here even made some passes at the track with and w/o the bronze filters...no difference in MPH

· Registered
515 Posts
X3
I like the bronze filter and continue to use them.
They last much longer than any other filter I've bought or used.

· Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I added an in-line filter back by the tank (out of sight) and left the filters in the carb for added insurance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I had a filter back by the tank. Guys in the Northstar Chevelle Club that I belong too, say to get rid of it. So I did that today.

· Premium Member
5,264 Posts
Just leave out the bronze jobbies and put an inline fuel filter in place before the carb inlet or regulator if you have one. Those little bronze filters are out of date.
And what make them out of date?

Rocky

· Registered
508 Posts
Way back when, everything i ever heard/read said ditch the bronze sintered
filter and replace it with a paper element. I used to put a little cartridge type filter in there where the bronze went.

· Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Way back when, everything i ever heard/read said ditch the bronze sintered
filter and replace it with a paper element. I used to put a little cartridge type filter in there where the bronze went.
Does anyone make the cartridge type filter that you can put in the carb fuel line inlet?

· Premium Member
5,264 Posts
Better choices for filters.
Their filtering surface is reasonably limited as compared to say a GM inline filter with hose ends.

I know everyone has their pet whatever it is for their cars, but never in my life have I ever heard of ANYONE ever having a fuel related issue for using a sintered bronze filter in their carb. I use them in my Holley and never an issue. I suppose if you have to worry that a bronze filter isn't good enough, your fuel system, lines, and tank probably have some issues.

If they are so out of date, then why do they still put them in new carburetors?

Rocky

· Gold Founding Member
8,670 Posts
The bronze filter should be installed in the GARBAGE CAN. Paper filters remove finer contaminants AND flow more fuel.

Put a paper filter in the carb, or better yet, a large paper filter in-line somewhere.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.