Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
A couple individuals are trying to convince me that the counter weight faces the engine side.

When I first got my car (has a 468 in it)....had constant problems with the starter grinding and not engaging correctly....changed the converter and lo and behold the flex plate was on backwards (the way your guys want ya to install it)...turned it around and guess what???? No more starter problems....the indentations go TOWARD the converter :yes:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
as it's been said the indentations go toward the converter. Install the flexplate on the engine and torque down to 60-65 ft LBS.
Make to put a quart in the converter, spin it and push in slightly and you will hear it clunk(or clicks). Keeping doing this until you hear 3 seperate clicks. THe last one is a little tougher. You should have to pull the converter up 1/8" to 3/16" for it to touch the flexplate.

If the converter is all the way into the trans there's less than 1/8" gap between flexplat and converter then your converter is not all the way into the trans..

If the converter is pushed into trans and the gap is bigger than 3/16" betwen converter and flexplate then you need to add shims between the two to take up the space.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm with you. sometimes peolpe have a way of making sense and make you think twice.

The reason I considered their point about the weight was because I had to grind a little bit off the corners of one of the converter tabs to get it past the counter weight.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I'm with you. sometimes peolpe have a way of making sense and make you think twice.

The reason I considered their point about the weight was because I had to grind a little bit off the corners of one of the converter tabs to get it past the counter weight.

gotcha.....maybe something that's inherent of TCI flex plates....didn't have to do that on mine

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
the weight goes toward the engine, just like the big pic, and the raised sections are on the opp side, which goes to the converter-sometimes there is a small lip around the hole for the crank, because it is "punched" from the engine side, so it is flat where it bolts up to the crank

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Do you have a picture of your flexplate in case its different?
If no the weight faces the engine, the indents or bumps faces your converter.

Dave

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that's the problem here.

Either the "bumps" face the converter OR the "indents" face the converter.

If you tell me the indent faces the converter you are saying the concave side of the mounting hole faces the converter.

So, in the picture provided the side with the stickers, the indents, and the counter weight faces the engine. correct?

·
Premium Member
13,107 Posts
I think that's the problem here.

Either the "bumps" face the converter OR the "indents" face the converter.

If you tell me the indent faces the converter you are saying the concave side of the mounting hole faces the converter.

So, in the picture provided the side with the stickers, the indents, and the counter weight faces the engine. correct?
Yes as stated a few times now the weight & indented part of the converter mount tabs face the engine
The raised mounting tabs face the converter

1 - 20 of 28 Posts