Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i recently upgraded to a new HEI, regapped hte plugs, new wires, etc. everything installed after a slight hickup, but 2 days later after a perfect test drive it has a miss. It hasn't been driven since hte test drive just started it a few times.

We cant narrow down the problem, nothing has changed since the test drive, we swapped hte valve covers and pulled hte wires on one side but they are 100% plugged in correctly, our guess is that along the way we fouled a spark plug.

My question is tommorrow what plugs do i need to get, its a sbc 350 with HEI incap coil.

Thanks,

·
Registered
221 Posts
probablly run R44T gapped at .045 since you have an HEI .. What carb are you running? Hard to fouls plugs in a couple of days unless you are running very rich or you are oil fouling ... Check that all plugs wires are on tight on both plugs and at dist cap...Make sure dist cap is latched down, not cocked ... You might even take it off and re-inspect condition of rotor and inner cap ... Also, make sure that a plug wires are not arching ..and, re-check your timing

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
DOUBLE CHECK your plug wires. Be sure they're in the correct firing order. If they are, pull each plug and check the plug gaps, and for signs of fouling . I've been running HEI now for about 7 years now and gap my plugs at .045. Over 185,000 miles have been on the car since the conversion with no problems. As I said, be sure your wires are in the correct order.

·
Premium Member
9,092 Posts
Did you use the dielectric silicone grease that comes with the wires?
With an HEI you need to feel and hear the wire click onto the dist cap and the plugs.The dielectric greases just makes it easier to happen.
Also helps not to ruin the wires when you change the plugs.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the plugs ive had for months, from when i had hte points, and they weren't exactly perfect when we pulled them to be gaped so they very well might be hte issue.

we did gap them at .45 so that wouldn't be it. I didn't use hte grease, but i made sure everything "snapped" in, ill use the grease when i put hte new plugs in though.

We checked the rotor and inner cap, all look fine. The timing is fine, the engine runs fine, just has a misfire. The wires have been checked no less than 5 times today, they are correct.

Do you all agree the R44T is the right plug? I just red the R44TX is gapped at .45 for hei, would that be the better choice?

·
Premium Member
9,092 Posts
I think the "X" in the R44TX plug just means its an extended tip spark plug.
"hte" decodes as the.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my mistake guys, im used to typing fast and ignoring my mistakes (comes with growing up in this age i guess
)

Well i read the whole r44t vs. r44tx where the only reason the guy switched was because the r44tx was gaped at .45

So bottom of the line which should i get?

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
According to ACDelco they're the same except one is designed for the wider gap. I assume the outer electrode is .01 taller. Since you have hte ignition and want the wider gap, get the plugs designed for that. Just kidding around with you on the 'hte'.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alrighty, r44tx's for me than, i bet you $10 the store doesn't sell them though lol, ill find out tommorrow, and i hope this solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well they didn't have the r44tx's so i had to go with the r44t's and ill just re-gap them myself

1 - 16 of 16 Posts