Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a new battery for my 64 Chevelle. I keep hearing about the Optima batteries, but I don't know which one to buy. I went to the website and it has different colors, which one should I buy? Do I have to modify anything to install? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yellow and red top? if your running a high amp stereo ,or alot of accessories id go with the yellow top, i believe thats the "deep cycle" one. the "red top" is generally a "starter" battery and will work fine, plus you can mount them in any position, the "blue" top is a marine type battery, it has a low rate of dis-charge (if your car sits for long periods of time) hope that helps.. jeff

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an alarm that may drain the battery, but is that enough to buy the yellow top? How long is "leaving for long periods of time"? I try to drive it on the weekends (it's not my daily driver) and start it every three days.
Thanks.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'll give my vote to the red top for all around general use. From some of your other posts, it seems that your car doesn't have high current parts like electric fans or monster stereos. It sounds like it is just a nice regular car, so the red will do fine.

·
Administrator
15,812 Posts
I run a red top in my truck and my son has one his Firebird. If you run high current draw accessories you might consider a blue top. It is a marine deep cycle/starting battery. I use the one I have for both jumping dead vehicles and running the winch on my trailer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I run the red top and have absolutley no discharge problems. My son likes to sit in the car in the off season (around here is about 4-5 months)and play the radio. It's not a window shaker, just a old pioneer w/ four speakers. I'll crank the heap and it fires right up with know signs of weakness. I used to do it with Interstates and the results very different. I hate cables. I hope this helps. :eek:

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a Red Top in my 64, The only big Assy. is a power Conv. top.
I have been told not to use a fast charger on a Gel Batt.

Bob J.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a red top in my 70 El Camino with a big block and it's never let me down. It sometimes sits for weeks at a time and never had any trouble starting up. :D

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I bought my Red top at Costco. Used it to run an inverter on the boat for Christmas lights. I will be using it in my 64 when it's finished.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your help, guys. I did buy the red top and I didn't start my car for a week and it started right away (unheard of with all the other batteries I have used).

·
Registered
57 Posts
hope this thread isn't dead yet. I'm also in the market for one of these battery's. I run a electric fuel pump and a elec. fan. The car is used primarly for the strip with a few miles on the road time. Think I could get away with a Red top?

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
fathom, you will be fine with a red, I was using a red on my truck which stereo at times can draw over 150amps and I never had a problem (light dimming is expected at these power levels) I now Have 2 yellow top optimas under the hood with a 200 amp powermaster alternator, talk about power on demand!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.