Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
10,972 Posts
What years and cars do the best donor 700's come from?
83 and after 1/2 ton trucks caprices, camaro,and monte?
They were installed in those vehicles, but the '83--'87 versions sucked to various degrees.

My preference is '88-'89, new enough to have the auxilliary valve body and many other improvements, old enough to have the pressure ports on the passenger side of the case.

You'd probably want one that came from behind a V-8 rather than a six-popper. The guts will be more heavy-duty. That said...all it takes is money to buy all the best/strongest parts and you can build up a 700 from a 2.8L.

Basically, anything new enough to have the aux. valve body is a good core; but if you go "too" new, you run into the electronically-controlled 4L60E/4L65E; and then you need a computer to automatically shift the transmission.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
Schurkey, do you know anybody that's used the DIY Mega-Shift tranny controller yet?

·
Gold Founding Member
10,972 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the input. My brother-in-law has a connection to a scrap yard. He was going to have his guy keep an eye out for two 700s. He has a 71 Camaro. We are planning on doing the swaps together.

I thought I saw a post that had a list of the years and the vehicles all laid out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
200-4r

Lots of people (and tranny rebuilders) prefer the 200-4R. :yes:

Better gear spread, no fitment issues, no computer needed, etc. :thumbsup:

Do some reSEARCH in the Team Chevelle archives. :yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts