Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hydraulic lifter that will not quit ticking in my 396/325. How do you find out which one is ticking while the engine is running? It doesn't tick immediately upon cranking, but begins within 15-30 seconds.
I've tried adjusting each one at a time while the engine is running but that hasn't worked. I even tightened them down about 2 or 2-1/2 turns. The lifters and cam are fairly new by the way. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
702 Posts
You can buy a mechanics stethoscope or use a 1"x2" wood board, cut to a comfortable length , usually 2 feet. Put one end of the 1x2 piece on the manifold above each inlet port and stick you ear against the other and listen. You can use it from undernieth the head to hear crank and rod sounds too.
Works great and it's cheaper than a stethoscope.

And are you sure it is a lifter and not a wrist pin or rod bearing? Sometimes there is a close sound resemblance.

------------------
JR
70 396SS El Camino #'s Matching.
69 396SS Chevelle, project "Street Bruiser"
H-D Ultra Classic E-Glide
I live to own toyz...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm not completely sure its a lifter. But if I cannot adjust it out after 2 full turns then its either not pumping up, or as you said, it may be something else. I hope not! Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
I like to use a piece of garden hose, say 2 or 3 feet long, one end to the ear, the other end as a microphone. Find the noisy lifter and take off the rocker and look close for anything not right.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Check your fuel pump for noise with the motor running as they can make the same noise as a loose lifter.

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Livonia, Michigan / USA
Rode shotgun in the ONLY Z16 convertible made.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Use a timing light, if it makes the noise once for each flash of the light, its most likely in the valve train. Twice for each flash would mean something relating to the bottom end.

Rick
67 ss bb
TC #326

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.