Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'd appreciate it if you gave me your opinions on this......I want to get 2 flowmaster mufflers but I can't decide between 2 stage and 3 stage....I don't race my 1971 El Camino it's a daily driver but I want a nice loud sound! SO give me your opinions! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Greenbeast-
Hey, in my opinion I would go with the 3 chambers, not quite as loud as the 2's but still plenty loud enough to set off house alarms when used with headers. Also the 3's arent as raspy as the 2's more of a deep rumble to the 3's. Of course this is my opinion but since you live in CA I would definately say go 3 chambers. Oh also, glad to see you got your elcamino. When I was looking for my 65 after I sold off my 64 I would look a lot at Recycler and would see your wanted ad quite a bit, for some reason I just remember your email address and have it conected with those ads.

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
65 Malibu 283/PG!!!
My 65's Homepage
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Hey greenbeast,
I'm running the 3 stage on my 72 with a 400sb. I love the sound. Not too loud but not a whisper either. Just right for me.

------------------
Honey, its not a $200 hat. The distributor was $200, the hat came with it. kevin d
Maryland Chevelle Club #362

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would have to agrre with everybody else,I have flowmasters on all 4 of my vehicles. I have 3chambers on my chevelle and truck(daily drivers)and 2 chambers on my street strip novas. 3 chambers are much nicer for drivers.

------------------
Troy Miller
Whiteford,Maryland
70 Nova
72 Nova
66 Chevelle

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you go to my web site and wait (and wait and wait), Internet Explorer will load and play sounds from my Elky with Flowmaster system; three chamber mufflers and balance tube. Borderline too loud for me.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

·
Registered
68 Posts
I put 2 Chamber Flows on my 350. Just perfect. I do not have headers. I really do not think that the 2's are too loud. My 2 cents...

------------------
D Smith
ALABAMA
1970 Chevelle 350

·
Registered
21 Posts
Greenbeast, I had the same question.Checked around at the local car cruises to see and listen to what they were running at that point I did'nt even know if I wanted flowmaster. flowmaster 2 chamber is what I went with. everyone has their own sound they like, when you hear it you will know.

------------------
Walter Momaney Jr. A.C.E.S. member #1898 69SS, 72 malibu

·
Registered
155 Posts
I went through the same issue when moving from the single exhaust. My directions to the exhaust guy were, "When I drive by, I want the sound to turn heads when the neighbors are outside, not when they're in a dead sleep in their houses."

I went to 2 chambers and the sound is not a problem at all. The two biggest factors (after the muffler selection of course) is the size of your engine (mine is a 350) and even more so, how far back you run the pipes. I took mine all the way back to the rear bumper. The sound will be MUCH louder if you dump them down underneath the car or off to the side before the rear tires.

Hope that helps.

Bob

·
Gold Founding Member
5,806 Posts
I have the 2 chambers with full tail pipes, around town and at idle they sound great, you can really hear the cam. But, on the highway at about 55-65 they just drone and drone and well, you get the idea. If I did it again I would go with 3 chambers.
Ron

------------------
70 Chevelle SS396, 66 Nova SS, 95 Z28 Convertible. Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Green,
My 65 has Flowmaster 2 chambers with complete 2-1/4" system. Also has Hooker competion headers. With original 283 it was louder than I wanted it to be but sounded great. Now with new 300/350 target engine it is louder still. I like the sound but if I had it to do over again I'd go with the 3 chambers.
mgg

[This message has been edited by Manny Gomez (edited 12-30-1999).]

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just put 3-chambers (the new delta series) on mine yesterday. They sound great! I've got a 396/350hp. If you live anywhere near San Bernardino I can give you a good recommentation for a muffler shop. Where I went the manager made the guys redo two sections of exhaust because they weren't bent quite right. (I wouldn't have known the difference).

------------------
Dave Knapp
TC #388
ACES # 3474
'70 SS 396

[This message has been edited by DaveK (edited 12-30-1999).]

·
Registered
51 Posts
I put a 2 chamber flomaster on my Amigo (2.6L 4-banger) and I loved it..
Yup. Cruisin around in my isuzu settin off car alarms.. CAn you believe I found a header for that thing? Pretty cool, huh? It was a pain to install though..

------------------
Scott, 20
Dallas, 70 Chevelle Malibu

[This message has been edited by speedr8413 (edited 12-30-1999).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Greenbeast, thnx for asking the question. I'm planning a full 3" for my 67 and was wondering the same thing.. Consensus is 3 chambers OK. Hey Fred, too bad that wasn't a voluminous rat in the sound byte!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 2-chambers with full 2 1/2" exhaust on my car with headers. I don't think it sounds to loud. Or maybe its all those years of listening to heavy metal music. Mom always said turn it down your gonna be deaf someday!

------------------
1969 Chevelle SS396/350HP, Turbo 400, 3:31 Posi, and Triple BLACK!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
IMHO I like LOUD. Had a few early 64/66/67 corvetts with side piped (chambered exhaust)
Read a DRONE by some but MUSIC to me.
I have 2 chamber on my chevelles 64 and 65 and like the sound. But blocks might be a tad deep throated ? I like my cars and music both LOUD. Twisted sister and two chamber flowmaster RULE
Wayne Kline
ACES TC

·
Registered
900 Posts
Greenbeast,Iput 3chambers on my 66 SB,330hp crate 350 with headers and 2.5" pipes to the bumper.LOVE IT.Not to loud(inside) at any speed but awesome outside.Going to do the same on the BB Elcam this spring.
Rick

·
Registered
167 Posts
Since I like as many opinions as I can get when I make a decision like you are trying to, I'll throw my two bits in also. When I put the flowmasters on my car, I tried to listen to cars with them, but that was almost 7 years ago, when they were first catching on. A buddy of mine put the 2 chambers on his Edelborck package 350, in a chevelle, with headers and full exit at the bumper 2 1/2" exhaust. I thought it was a bit loud. That was a 9.5 :1 motor. The 350 I had in the car at the time had 10.5:1 so I knew the engine would be louder than my friend's, so I went 3 chamber with 2 1/2" pipes to the bumper, and absolutely love the sound, couldn't ask for it to be any nicer. Now with the 402 and about 9.5:1 compression, it sounds almost exactly like the old 350 did. Another thing to consider besides compression is how many RPM's will you be turning at highway speeds? The more RPM's the louder it will be, and more likelyhood of it resonating. If I did it again, any car I plan on driving for more than just an occasional weekend rip around town would get the three chambers.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Bought my 70 SS 396 Elky restored with mild cam and hooker headers plus some sort of "stock" mufflers. Wife said "too loud, won't ride with you". So---put original exhaust manifolds back on car, installed 3 chamber flowmasters and it made a big difference. Car sounds deep and throaty but is much better for passengers. Still a little loud with cam but has a great sound.
By the way, I just listed it for sale in classified section since Santa Claus brought me a 70 SS 396 2 dr hdtop. You can't go wrong with 3 chamber.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If you want all out power and sound of a
B-52 Bomber at tree top level by all means by the 2 chamber 3" flowmasters like I have on the 406 69 Chevelle malibu sleeper. The car looks like a sleeper but it sure doesn't sound like it. Those 3 chambers would be nice on a trip or a cruise through an anti-noise neighborhood. Just my .01.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

·
Registered
190 Posts
For what it's worth, I wrestled with this same decision. Bottom line - I went with the 3 chambers, 2.5" pipe all the way back to bumper. 454 w/ cam & headers. Sounds great! Not too loud until you jump on it. This car is being built for my teenage son and we didn't want a cop magnet any more than necessary. I'm pleased with the results. If you're running a big block, definitely get the balancer tube.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.