Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 Chevelle that I would like to install easily a high output alternator (105 amp). I have read the tech forum and do not have the means to adapt the brackets. Is there a direct replacement vehicle that I can tell the parts guy that I have that will work?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Do you have a need to go to 105 amps? Or are you just trying to put something larger in there?
My personal preference is still the SI alternators.
I run a 94 amp SI in my 84 Cutless. These drop into the same brackets as the original external regulator alternators. You will probably need metric hardware. Ask for something to fit an 85/86 (about there) Camaro/Olds/Buick V8 with A/C. The ones for the Olds will fit, but the alternator needs to be re-clocked. The connector plug is too close to the bottom for the wires to reach.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rationale for the 105 amp had more to do with my intended progression towards the windstar/Mark VIII cooling fan setup. From what I read through these posts, most folks recommend that range.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
The Si alternator is a good choice, and like the previous post said it will be a direct replacement for your 10N. You must rewire the external voltage regulator out of your circuit, since the Si's have an internal regulator. The hot setup in Si alts is the 12Si. It fits like the 10Si and uses a lot of the same parts, but it cools better and GM has a stock 96 amp model. I can look up a part number for you if you are interested. If you look at the Powermaster high amp alts, they are 12Si's.

------------------
Bob Walton
MCC #386
ACES #3158
Team Chevelle Gold #221

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
94 amp 12SI is Delco Part #'s:
321-266 for 3 o'clock
321-269 for 9 o'clock.
A good link for this is