Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm feeling pretty foolish here... We've got a mild 70 454 'bu that will be a weekend cruiser. Currently, it's completely apart but is on the verge of going back together now that all the major construction is almost complete.

We're very likely going to switch the pulley-driven fan over to an electric fan (Taurus most likely) and likely have the bommin' stereo... In other words, there will be a pretty fair amount of draw from all the accessories, so I'm guessing the old stock alternator current supply won't be sufficient.

There is no alternator or Regulator at this point and the engine and dash harnesses will be replaced anyway, so what we have currently isn't a factor. The question is, what alternator to go with that provides a sufficient supply and will connect using the stock brackets. I don't have the ability to fab anything that doesn't fit already... :(

Searched thru and reading a lot about the high amp-rated 1-wire alternators in various posts here, but then there are several who say they're not fans of these units. Are there the same thing in the conventional wiring schemes? Is there a junkyard-available newer one that's compatible or one I can buy new? Not worried about originality...

Man, I hate not knowing this stuff!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saw the TC article, but the MAD Enterprises one looks good. Still need a lot more info, but this is a good start. Thanks Dean!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Here is 1 more link that has good alternator info., it was posted by another member sometime back.
Personally, I upgraded to a 94 amp SI-12 alternator. Its a direct bolt in to the brackets and has an internal regulator. I had to redo some of my wiring, as I went from a internal regulator alternator. Its been running great for a couple years now.

http://207.158.221.52/gw/alt/Alternator_Theory.html

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
A one wire alternator will work fine. Buy from someone with a good reputation. I run the wire along the intake and down to the starter. Very clean install. Good luck Jon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts