1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
I think the Chevy version was going to be built in Oshawa along with the Camaro and others. I think the Chevy got canned due to the new gas mileage ratings that the US government is imposing on us all.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
6.0 liter LS V-6
6 speed auto trans
Rear wheel drive
24 mpg

http://www.pontiac.com/g8/index.jsp

Would make a very nice drivetrain in an old daily driver Chevelle ;)

All that is, is a rebadged GTO. It's a really nice looking car, but I just can't stand that they detuned and lowered the hp to only 361hp :( I'm sure people, for the most part, are gonna like this version of the "GTO" better then the one they just canned cause of it's bland look, but they could have at least kept the hp/tq the same, JMO :)

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe Chevy will get the Ute version with an El Camino name????
No, no, no. That's what everyone would want. GM isn't into that concept anymore. Too dammed worried about Toyota. They want to be just like them now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
All that is, is a rebadged GTO. It's a really nice looking car, but I just can't stand that they detuned and lowered the hp to only 361hp :( I'm sure people, for the most part, are gonna like this version of the "GTO" better then the one they just canned cause of it's bland look, but they could have at least kept the hp/tq the same, JMO :)
Sorry, but is not a "rebadged GTO". It looks nothing like my GTO. ;)
The 04-06 GTO is based off the Holden Monaro which is no longer made.
The G8 is based from the Holden Commodore and the 361hp in the G8 GT is from it having a 6.0 L76, not the 400hp LS2, it is still an LS family motor though. When the G8 GXP is released it will have the 6.2L LS3 and a 6spd manual. FWIW, my GTO only has 350hp, I have an 04 with the LS1.

Go test drive a G8, it will impress you. It's like nothing else pontiac has put out in some time. It has muscle car perfomace and the road manners of a BMW. Those aussies sure know how to make cars!:D

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Sorry, but is not a "rebadged GTO". It looks nothing like my GTO. ;)
The 04-06 GTO is based off the Holden Monaro which is no longer made.
The G8 is based from the Holden Commodore and the 361hp in the G8 GT is from it having a 6.0 L76, not the 400hp LS2, it is still an LS family motor though. When the G8 GXP is released it will have the 6.2L LS3 and a 6spd manual. FWIW, my GTO only has 350hp, I have an 04 with the LS1.

Go test drive a G8, it will impress you. It's like nothing else pontiac has put out in some time. It has muscle car perfomace and the road manners of a BMW. Those aussies sure know how to make cars!:D

VERY interesting! I test drove an '06 GTO a few months back, and it was ok, but then again, I couldn't test drive it the way I wanted cause it was at night, the streets were still wet from rain earlier in the evening, and there were a lot of cars on the streets. I wanted to get the GTO, but they just wanted too much money down, so I walked.

·
Registered
94 Posts
^^There is the problem that the GTO's had, the dealerships killed them. The 04's rarely sold for sticker or less for the first several months, that burned everyone and now if you look hard enough, you can still occaionally find a brand new 06 on a dealer lot. Many dealerships are doing the same to the G8 with huge markups. If history repeats itself, wait a bit and go pick one up at invoice with a huge GM rebate! Both are awesome cars, even at my 5000' elevation, I spin the tires shifting to 2nd and 1st is a joke at sea level. If you dont mind a used car, 04's with under 50k miles can be had for under 20 grand. ;)

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
^^There is the problem that the GTO's had, the dealerships killed them. The 04's rarely sold for sticker or less for the first several months, that burned everyone and now if you look hard enough, you can still occaionally find a brand new 06 on a dealer lot. Many dealerships are doing the same to the G8 with huge markups. If history repeats itself, wait a bit and go pick one up at invoice with a huge GM rebate! Both are awesome cars, even at my 5000' elevation, I spin the tires shifting to 2nd and 1st is a joke at sea level. If you dont mind a used car, 04's with under 50k miles can be had for under 20 grand. ;)

I don't care for the '04s, I know it may sound stupid, but, they don't have the LS2, one sided dual exhaust, and they don't have the look of the '06 that I like soo much more :) I know they can be just as capable as the 06 performance wise, no issue there, but I'd prefer the LS2 :D The only other thing for me is, sure I can get an 04-06 GTO for right around 20 grand, but I can also get an 03-04 Cobra for the same price (or less), low miles, and a few mods that'll out run the GTO on the 1/4! LoL It's kool tho, I'm still not in the poisition I want to be to buy another car, so I'm just gonna wait it out. I was really close to getting a Ninja ZX14 a few weeks ago, but that to is going to have to wait :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts