Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i pirated an MSD 6AL box outta my dad's SS, where it was mounted to the steel inner fender. since all of the sheetmetal on the nose of my car is new, i don't wanna mess it up drilling holes for the ugly MSD box. i was thinking about mounting it to the heater box on the inside of the car, above the passenger footwell. the wiring is no problem, but i was wondering if it would induce any interference into the the radio, because i plan on putting a competition level system in the car (strictly for the purpose of getting some weight on those rear tires, of course). my last car suffered from horrible ignition noise (it had stock ignition though) and i don't want a repeat of that. anyone have any ideas for a slick mounting point for the MSD? i don't wanna drill my firewall either. thanks again guys.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
32 Posts
I mounted my MSD box on the driver's side inner fender right behind the head light. I then routed the wires up to the coil and distriburtor using the factory wiring locations. The battery and ground wires were routed through the radiator support to the 12 volt terminal block and ground location.

I guess this location does not show off the box, but it is out of the way and in a cool location as recommend by MSD. I have no problems with radio noise at all. Check that your installation has good wiring and grounds, and you have RFI type spark plug wires. Make sure your tach is compatable with the MSD box or you will need and adaptor module.

Steve

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,613 Posts
I mounted my 6AL on the heater box inside and had no radio interference. Box buzzes slightly though. MSD is almost hidden in this location. von

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks! how do you know if your tach is compatible with the MSD box? i'm using the original tach in my 70 SS, and i was just going to attatch the big, brown tach wire that originally went to the neg side of the coil to the "tach" connector on the MSD box. i got the box outta my dad's car and it was already there when he bought it, so i have no directions or anything. also, does anyone know how many amps it draws? thanks a lot.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.

·
Registered
26 Posts
According to MSD for the GM tachs you just bypass the factory in-line filter and hook up to the box. The 6 series reqiures 5 amps at 5,000rpm and 10 amps at 10,000 rpms.The heavy gauge red & black wires go to the battery,orange to the + coil,black to the - coil,red to the wire that was on the + coil,white to the distributer if its still points.Also if you have run on after turning off the key you will need to splice a 1A-100V diode in line on the #4 terminal of the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, i figured out all the connection stuff. i also have my car converted to an internally regulated alternator, which should prevent it from running on. but where is the inline filter on the tach??? i have no dash in the car right now, so i can see the tach wire from end to end, but i don't see an inline filter.... is it one of those capacitors that sits in the coil bracket and kinda looks like a condensor?

thanks for the info though, 70 Elky!

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I didn't remove the inline filter on my 70 SS 396 and my box and tach work great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.