Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a source for gm plastic harness plugs, connectors, and correct color wire with tracers ? I would like to be able to fix harness's on some of my vehicles instead of replacing the harness because one plug is bad. thanks, Stan

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
All GM wiring is from Packard Electronics Division. Thats why you see P.E.D. on all the connectors.
try the Delphi automotive DELPHIsite to see if you can find what you need connector wise

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
You can never fix a Ford,You can only work on them alot.
70 442
The Z-meano
Cowl induction injection

[This message has been edited by pmullaly (edited 11-06-2002).]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
m & h said "we only sell harness's" so that's out . any other suggestions?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I tried doing what you are trying to do, which is, find new connectors and re-wire things myself. I made quite a few changes to the stock wiring harness for the under-dash and engine compartment A/C circuits. To purchase a new/repro harness from the companies who make them would have been a major headache because of the number of changes. To get just the connector cavities is a major no-no from ALL of the wiring companies. That's where they have you. It's like saying 'You need a valve cover gasket? Sorry, you'll have to buy an entire engine to get one. We don't sell just gaskets'.
I was able to get the necessary connectors that I needed by asking the guys here at Chevelle Tech. They came through for me. You can easily clean a used connector and re-crimp new spade terminals, which, by the way, ARE available at any NAPA store.
As for the wires themselves, you might be surprised at how well the original wire will clean up if you unwrap everything and use some acetone to remove the years of accumulated grime. For the damaged wires, you might have enough slack to just re-spade the ends or try a local Rod-Resto shop. They seem to sometimes have spools of wire in many colors. GM didn't get too crazy with 'tracer' stripes until the cars got a lot more electrically complicated.

Good luck, you'll need it.

Louie

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm trying to make a correct power window wiring harness for a 65 el camino. i need 2: male and female three terminal spade
connectors. the arrangement looks like I_I. I need two pairs. If anyone has them please let me know thanks, Stan

·
Registered
659 Posts
I am trying to rewire some stuff under the hood and am also looking for replacement terminals for the connectors.

I tried NAPA, but couldn't find anything (read an old post that listed a napa part number, but the terminal it turned out to be wasen't even close). Maybe GM changed the terminal design on later model chevelles.

If anybody has any luck finding anything, post back.

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

1 - 7 of 7 Posts