Chevelles.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 70 Chevelle with a 4 sp M22. It is pretty hard to get it into first gear. Where is a good place to get transmissions worked on? A chain place or just try to find a local mechanic?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You probably don't want a chain place, no offense to them but 99% of the employees at those places have probably never even heard of an M22 much less ever rebuilt one. Find the oldest reputable locally owned transmission shop in your area and you will have a much better chance of getting someone with better experience.

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
Is this something that needs fixed now or can it wait till winter. If it can wait there are two good Muncie guys that frequent this site. Either would be my choice.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Just a thought - is the clutch adjustment in specs? If the clutch isn't fully releasing it will be difficult to get into 1st. and reverse when stopped. FWIW

Reactions: 71350SS

·
Registered
816 Posts
Most shifting and "getting in and out of gear" issues can be traced to the clutch not being adjusted properly, or the shifter and linkage not being adjusted properly. Both are pretty easy to do on your own in the garage and would make a good starting point. Your transmission is probably just fine.

Check out Paul cangialosi's YouTube channel for some tips, he has a bunch of videos that go over all of the common problems and troubleshooting with these transmissions. He is a member here too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GearWorldTV

·
Registered
619 Posts
On the other side of the country from you but this guy is an expert in Muncies. It is called Hoss' Gear Shop in Mt Pleasnt ,PA 15666. 724-423-6502 His name is Keith. He is a one man shop. Very knowledgable and will have every part you need even when no one else does. I have had him do a Muncie for me and a few rear end gear swaps.

·
Premium Member
8,929 Posts
Yes, Hoss, is the man. He did my M-22. His brother had a shop in Jeannette, Pa. He sold clutches,Flywheels , Etc. Bud got me the CORRECT pressure plate for my LS-5. & Disc.
Bob

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,946 Posts
that involves buying a different gearset. Paul Cangliaosi is good for acquiring the gears. I see you're here in the west. See PM from me.

·
Premium Member
8,929 Posts
A quick funny story about " Hoss ". I drop off my M-22. When I go to pick it up I see a plug in the side plate ( I put the plug in years ago,,WHY ?? I have no idea)
I asked Hoss, because I am so DAM smart about cars,,, " Could you pull that plug and install a back up light switch?" Keith, Looks and says to me, With a slight GRIN on his face, " Do you have special reason for wanting a back/up light switch on FOURTH GEAR ?"
After making an Azz of myself, It hits me,,,, Its for the T.C.S. !
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Micheal,
Contact Jody Haag-Jody's Transmissions. He is a member of this site. He is located in Reading,PA. I know this is the other side of the world from you,but he is worth it. Jody did my transmission and I am very happy with it... Bob

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
They are fairly simple. I have done many Muncie and BW 4 speeds.
Like above, check the clutch adjustment and linkage.
If you have the nylon bushings on the shift linkage at the trans, change them out to steel.
Basic rebuild or gear change, you can do it.
Muncie Parts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have an 70 Chevelle with a 4 sp M22. It is pretty hard to get it into first gear. Where is a good place to get transmissions worked on? A chain place or just try to find a local mechanic?
you did not say if the clutch is adj ,how is the free play, like some one stated on here if clutch is not adj it will be hard to go into first gear:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
15,862 Posts
Keep lengthening the clutch adj rod until *almost all* the slack is taken up. Any older fella familiar with transmissions can rebuild a Muncie, they are dreadfully simple. You have a clutch or shifter rod length issue, likely. So dont be pulling that trans just yet.

Once your clutch has the proper amt of free play, then you ought align the sift rods by putting it in the neutral gate, and pinning it and seeing how the rods lay in neutral. My guess is that you'll need to lengthen the 1/2 shift rod a schooch.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
It may be the pilot bushing. If it is the metallic style that will stick to a magnet, they will expand and keep the main shaft turning when the clutch is depressed. Buy a bushing that is non magnetic. Been there done that.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
On the other side of the country from you but this guy is an expert in Muncies. It is called Hoss' Gear Shop in Mt Pleasnt ,PA 15666. 724-423-6502 His name is Keith. He is a one man shop. Very knowledgable and will have every part you need even when no one else does. I have had him do a Muncie for me and a few rear end gear swaps.
I didn't know that guy was still going. Back when I was in Pittsburgh, I recall my friend of mine (who lived in Mt Lebanon) driving out there back around 1992 or so to have him fix an M20 he blew.

That was back in the pre-internet, pre-autogear days when the only Muncie parts you could find were used ones, and most were junk. As 20 yr old kids, we had no hope of finding parts and documentation to fix ourselves, so Hoss took care of it. :)

·
Premium Member
17,418 Posts
Can Hoss widen out the ratios?
If you want to also change the ratios, you should also consider a completely new "Muncie"... These can be built with many different ratios, and are stronger by design ( AutoGear Supercase, iron mid-plate, etc), plus not 45+ year old metal, not to mention most M22's were probably driven hard... IF your M22 is not original to your car, you may consider selling it outright, and possibly have the complete new trans for around the cost of the gear change and rebuild of your current trans...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts