Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked Best Buy and Circuit City. Seems like each offered only one or two AM/FM cassettes for cars. No knobs and too modern looking.

I'm looking for something generic and low-tech to plug a hole with...knobs, cassette, and decent sound. It'll probably be a one-speaker mono set up.

Any suggestions on where to look?
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds like you are just looking for something that makes noise without spending a lot of money. All decks require two speakers. They do make a dual speaker that fits in the place of the center mono speaker. A search on Yahoo brings up a lot of information on cassettes. I used the search words "auto cassette shaft" to bring up information. Here's a couple.

http://www.ezresearch.com/shopping/electronics/Electronics-Car-Audio-Cassette-Receivers.html

http://bsless.com/bsless/auto-products-cassette-receivers.html

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John, thanks for the links.
I thought you could run both positive speaker wires from the the deck to the positive side of the speaker and both negative wires from the deck to the negative side of the speaker as long as the speaker had the requried Ohm rating. Can't swear I've ever done it. I'll go with a pair of 3" or 3 1/2" speakers saved from another car.
Didn't car radios used to come with just one oval speaker in the middle of the dash?

Deon, that Kenwood looked very familiar. I looked in my notes (I've learned I forget) and wrote down a while back Kenwood 2006 for the one I wanted for my Monte. Seems like it was 130-150. I like 90 better. The one you posted looks just fine. All I really care about is a decent cassette player.
For some reason when I go to the link and look up Kenwood cassettes, that one doesn't come up, but a few others do.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by Glenn1018:
[QBDidn't car radios used to come with just one oval speaker in the middle of the dash?
[/QB]
Yes, but they were mono or single channel output radios. You won't find anything less than a stereo or 2-channel output. Don't try tying the 2 channels together into a single speaker. I think NPD sells an oval speaker that is actually 2 speakers in the same frame.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again John.
I must have been confusing the single speaker wiring with a 2-channel 4 speaker capable deck that has a balance for side to side and a fader for front to rear adjustments. Running the left rear and left front wires to one speaker, etc.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you can find one, some companies make a dual voice coil speaker...that is there's 2 sets of terminals on one speaker, yet it gives you the appearance and sound of a mono speaker. But I'm not sure if anyone makes them the size you need.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The speakers I have are bigger than I thought they were, 4.5"-5" depending on how you measure.

I thought they were smaller because the last time I played with them I was trying to get them under the dash of the Monte to replace the factory speaker/s. They sounded ok and should be fine for where they're going.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
27,718 Posts
Glenn,
I picked up a couple of BN, in the package, Audiovox AM/FM cassette two knob style radios last year when Kmart closed.
If you're interested, I'll ship ya one for a $20.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts