Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be needing to rewire the entire engine compartment in Chevello for fuel injection. There's a lot of different colored wires in there, but all the local auto supply stores have is red, black, green, brown and blue.

Where should I look to find many different colors of wire? Harnesses from junkyards? Electrical distributors?

Thanks

K

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Use the origanal wiring harness that came with the injected car.
Or if its a new aftermarket unit get wire from a local electrical supplier

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Try MAD or Painless. Either has a wide range of colours but I don't think either will have wires with second colour tracer stripes.

Peter

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The TBI is supposed to arrive with a harness. From a '92 Caprice. Are you thinking I'll have enough wire already?

I'll also need to run new wires for the front lights and horns. That batch got all melted together somehow (I think from Mr. Hack not knowing how to wire a later model alternator) Does a replacement light harness do this?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
A replacement front light harness will come with everything needed to replace headlight circuts from firewall forward.
You'll have enough wire from the stock setup to wire in everything.
What'll really help you is the MFG's schematic from the make and model car the donor setup is coming from.
Avail at Helm Inc

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by Chevello:
I'll also need to run new wires for the front lights and horns. That batch got all melted together somehow (I think from Mr. Hack not knowing how to wire a later model alternator) Does a replacement light harness do this?
Keith
May have not been the weinee's fault. The 64 seriously lacks fusible links. Look at your schematic, your harness, and a schematic from a later year. If you order a forward lamp harness from someone like M & H, make sure there are links added to it. I don't know if they are doing this or just making it original. Suggest one between the battery and horn relay and another between the horn relay and bulkhead connector.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Also, if you order a replacement harness get them to make it for the internally regulated alternator. I believe M&H will do that if you go to them directly with your requests. It will cost a little more but it looks right and works right.

Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts