Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a shiney new alternator and a really ugly bracket that covers it. I ordered a new bracket that will show it off more,however on a 71 the main ground from the batt. post connects to the top of the alt bracket. Where is another good spot within reach of the already existing ground cable? The lower alt bracket?any ideas?

------------------
71 malibu 350/350
TC member#566

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sean, make sure you ground to the engine block, any where is OK just make sure it is a clean spot and tight! I have mine grounded to the bolt hole in the right front bolt hole (just above the oil pan rail) I had to use a longer cable, but routed it along side the positive cable. It looks good

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think you should keep it on the block somewhere vs. the frame. This lead carries the starter motor current draw which can be a couple hundred amps or so. Wouldn't want that jumping down what little metal to metal contact is left once you moved this lead to the frame.

I'll never forget having my Integra not start one time out in the middle of nowhere. I diagnosed a bad ground cable, then used one of the two jumper cables I had with me to make a good connection from the battery to the block and it fired right up. The good ole boy next to me was having trouble figuring out how I jump started my own car.

jmw

·
Registered
336 Posts
There are a couple nice threaded bolt holes in the front of a small block just around the corner from the fuel pump facing forwards just above the oil pan. That is where I bolted my Ground cable. I seem to remember getting a 2"longer one when I replaced them later on. I was looking to reduce radio interference at the time

------------------
Frank W
Arlington MA
74 Laguna S3 !! ( No motor yet)
73 Malibu Coupe Mighty 305 Power
hometown.aol.com/folingo/

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Find an open bolt hole on the head, or use an exisiting mount on the head. My 67 also has a smaller ground to the body right near the bat. the two'll do ya right.

------------------
Chaas
Gold #62/ACES
67 SS396/L88

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
attatch it to the block, make sure to scrape any paint off where you bolt the cable up, you want a good connection so get it down to bare metal. I also run a braided strap from the block to the frame, good grounds take care of a lot of annoying electrical problems and keep others from popping up.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.