Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put an Edelbrock performer manifold and 1406 4bbl on the Elky and am looking for someplace to plug the positive wire from the electric choke. The most obvious place to me was the + on the coil, but the manual says NOT (several times.)

Suggestions? It needs to be powered only when the key is on. I don't know what the power drain on it is - I don't want to overload another circuit.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The best place would be to run a wire from the fuse block, like you would if you were installing a HEI. This way the wire is fused and power goes off with the key. Use a lug to clip onto a terminal on the block.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I used the switched wire going to the alternator. Just make sure that the choke ONLY has power when the key is ON.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
ACES #4055
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
1970 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where would I plug it into the fuse block? One of the three terminals in the center? They're marked BAT, ACC & IGN - I assume I'd use the one marked IGN? These terminals aren't fused, are they? Should I put an inline fuse in the wire?

Which wire running to the Alternator is switched? I now realize it needs to be switched - I temporarily hooked it straight to the + term on the battery and it got pretty hot.
---
Ed

[This message has been edited by 68Elkie (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
You want the IGN terminal. I have never used a fuse inline the +12V for the electric choke. Never had a problem. I suppose you could stick a fuse in there, but you'd have to know the max current draw to select the right amp fuse...dunno how much current the choke will "pull"
Good luck!

------------------
Tony Nausieda
1970 SS 396-4??hp
Frame-off Resto, just painted, awaiting final reassembly.
NOT stock but looks it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts