Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrage my alternator wire running from the back of the alternator to the starter post. I've been looking around, but have been unable to find anyone that sells something other than the Painless high amp alternator kit. I believe even that has a 10 gauge wire on it, and I was looking to upgrade to something closer to a 4.

I stopped by Pep Boys, and they do have battery cables with the tab style connectors on both ends that I could modify and make work for the alternator side, but I would be worried about the exposed metal on the tab grounding against the back of the alternator and causing a short, or blowing out my alternator.

Anyone run across anything that I could use?

·
Registered
163 Posts
These guys are "salvage" guys but have a HUGE warehouse full of stuff. Their web site doesn't begin to cover all the stuff they have. If it's electrical, chances are good they have it. If it's mechanical, there's a good chance as well.

There's a local GM plant in town that sells stuff to these guys. You can get modern GM wires and many other generic wires as well off the spool. Including labeled wiring..every few inches to what it went to on the GM vehicle.

Don't bother with the web site, like I said, it doesn't begin to cover what they have. Call them up and ask for what you want.

http://www.meci.com/

Steve

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Check the local welding supply houses, I get my 00 gauge and 2 gauge there, I've never looked for anything smaller but they have it. It happens to be the most conductive wire you can get.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I infact changed all my battery cables and such to #1 welding lead, like the fellow mentioned you will find it at a welding supply store. They will in most cases crimp the #1 guage eyelet connectors on there for you at no charge. Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Home Depot sells bulk wire, I replaced my alternator primary lead in red insulated 4ga for pretty cheap. They also carry the large size ring terminals and heat shrink you'll need to finish it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts