Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction. I am looking to buy an original looking repo master cylinder for my 70 chevelle ss. Most places I have looked have ones but they dont look original.
THanks

·
Registered
509 Posts
Best thing to do is find an orginal and just rebiuld it. I sent mine out and had it stainless steel lined. I have several 409's with bleeders if interested, but they need to be rebiult. Auto parts store rebiuld kit is 25.00 for these.

·
Gold Founding Member
64,448 Posts
www.ss396.com has what you need
Do they have the ones with the bleeders?

Best thing to do is find an orginal and just rebiuld it. I sent mine out and had it stainless steel lined. I have several 409's with bleeders if interested, but they need to be rebiult. Auto parts store rebiuld kit is 25.00 for these.
Where would be a good place to send one?
I haven't checked mine for pits yet to see if I can rebuild it myself but I would like to keep the original.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,841 Posts
Ok I am going with the guy on ebay do i want one stamped BB or BE?
Not sure, maybe you should post a question in the "Restoration" forum.
I bought the wrong one for mine, I had to shorten the push rod in my car to make it work. I didnt know which one to buy either and chose the wrong one but it still works great. E-mail him and ask him which one has the deep hole in the back, that is the one that you need.
Ron

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Holy cow, the last time I priced Advanced Auto it was ~$25 for the whole thing. Many people complain of going through a couple of these to find a good one ... I never used one.

I have about $100 into my 'US' stamped m/c, resleeved in stainless and rebuilt (it's really easy to do yourself). Granted the 'US' stamp isn't correct for a Chevelle, but I figured it'd be worth more resale down the road.

Question I kept wondering ... was if I could drill and tap a set of bleeders into an AZ master cylinder, and just never use them ... but a cheap look-a-like?

While your at it, I also had Micky Hale replate and rebuild my proportioning valve and brake booster.

Thanks, Neal

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
WOW thats high the one at AZ is $59 bucks and they pay the shipping.
I am fairly certain the ones you get at any parts store nowdays do not have the bleeder. Thus will not be the correct original.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts