Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing the American Autowire update series kit in a 1969 Chevelle. Worked on the rear body kit, yesterday. Each of the side marker lights has a black, ground wire. Just wondering where the best place is to attach these ground wires?

·
Registered
329 Posts
to one of the studs that mounts the tail-lite housing to body, clean surface to bare metal and apply dielectric grease to keep from corroding.

·
Premium Member
11,761 Posts
On my 69 I have the ground for the drivers marker light run with the wire bundle along with the supply for the passenger side. It exits that bundle at the bracket for the trunk lid latch. The ground wire for the passenger side runs backwards with the bundle and exits at the bundle near the same point as the drivers side and they both attach the same point on the trunk lid latch bracket. I believe that is the way it was done originally. Although it has been 4 years or so I believe that is the way it was done originally. look for a small hole on the passing side of that latch. Mine still has the original fastner in it. Both grounds crimped into one terminal with a loop on it. Also have American Autowire classic update kit.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both ground wires are long enough to reach to the trunk latch bracket, and remember seeing other cars grounded to this location, but I couldn't find the hole you mentioned. I'll look again.

·
Premium Member
11,761 Posts
Rick: Had the camera out anyway as today I was taking my Chevelle off to paint jail so I took a pic of the ground wire and bracket.

'

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brad, Thanks for the photo. That's what I expected, based on where the ground attaches on my '71; however, the '69 has no pre-existing hole, so I thought I'd ask.
Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts