Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first bought my '70 malibu, the guy told me I needed to change the oil pan gasket because it had a slight leak. Well, I changed it, and she still leaked. So I changed the valve cover gaskets, because it appeared to be leaking from around that area. But, she still leaks! Are there anymore popular places that chevelles leak?

·
Administrator
3,376 Posts
The front seal is a suspect. They have a nasty habit of wearing a small grove in the crank right where the seal meets. They offer a thin sleeve to repair it, or perhaps it's just the seal is shot.
The rear of the intake is another popular 'weeper'.
Make sure the fuel pump area is sealed well too, not really common, but it happens.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
You might also check the plate bolts where the fuel pump is on the front of the motor.

------------------
1965 Chevelle
Maroond
In the beginning...

·
Gold Founding Member
1,349 Posts
Another area is the fuel pump rod retainer hole there is a threaded hole on the front of the motor that you can run a bolt in to hold the fuel pump rod they dont seem to leak under normal conditions but when you crank em up plus the fan helps spray it around mike

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
The infamous Chevy SB V-8 is a leaker. Live with it.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
167 Posts
When replacing gaskets on things like the oil pan and valve covers, you need to make sure you flatten out the mating surfaces on these sheet metal parts. This is especially true if someone (like the previous owner) was trying to get bad gaskets to stop leaking by continuously tightening the bolts. I know it's a pain, but if you didn't check this on your pan or valve covers, you may need to, especially if everyhting else checks out. Does the engine have an aluminum intake? If so, the rear seal on that would be a strong possibility. Sometimes people use the factory type rubber gasket on these, but really all you should use is a bead of RTV.

First thing I would do (if you haven't already) is to get the motor as clean as you can, then pay close attention whenever you drive it, to where the leak(s) are.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, I guess I'll have to clean her up a bit. I already did, but it didn't help much because the oil seems to be all over! Then I guess i'll check everything one by one. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Take the car to the carwash and use a spray degreaser, after its clean you will easily see where the problem is, you may have more than one leak..

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Rear main seal is notorious, the one on my '70 Truck just pours.I don't have to worry about changing the oil it leaks so much.

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen / Team Chevelle # 427 / A.C.E.S. # 1282

·
Registered
336 Posts
HEED THE WORD OF DZAUTO!

I thought I was the only one that truely beleived that
some engines are destined to leak, thats just life.

if its leaking like a sivve, on the other hand, something is wrong.. but weeping, slight dripping -- its uncontrollable

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a SB that doesn't leak it stays dry as a bone.I also had a 78 pickup that didn't leak and at 180,000 miles had to change the oil pan because it was so dry it rusted through.So not all SB leak.FRED

------------------

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.