Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '70 Malibu a few months back and since
I got the car, I've noticed that the back-up lights have never worked. It has stock 4-spd trans and shifter.
The factory assembly manual shows the back-up switch is mounted on the column and is combined with the neutral start switch.
The only wire connected to the trans is a switch that looks like part of the TCS emission stuff.
I did notice that there is a rod coming from the steering column that goes to a bracket mounted to the frame. I figure this linkage is for shifting gears on automatics and GM installed it in the manual cars anyway.

My question is there a rod that connects the reverse linkage from the trans to this bracket so rotating the column activates the back-up switch?
This car has headers and it looks like I would need something shaped like a pretzel to get this thing to work right.

Thanks guys,
Lawrence

·
Registered
173 Posts
The answer to your question is yes. There is a rod which connects the reverse lever on the tranny to a pivot point under the car, which rotates a section of the column when shifted into reverse. This activates the reverse lights and also positions the lock mechanism. The thing was originally designed so that it would lock in reverse when the key was removed. Now, if your linkage rod is missing (as mine was) you can get creative and easily fabricate one from 3/8" rod (as I did). (To be honest, I haven't seen them available anywhere, and I don't know if anyone else has.) All I did was heat it, bend it, threaded the ends and used some Hurst bushings on it. Works like a champ.

·
Registered
173 Posts
PS - The bends I mentioned were quite simple and the headers were not an issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks TJW.
Looks like that's the way to go.
I was wondering why there was a hole on the reverse lever of the trans with nothing connected to it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts