Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67SS. My console light comes on when I open the door but the overhead light is very intermittent. I removed the light fixture and the problem is not there. When I ground the light withing the light fixture the light goes on with no problem.

I removed the door switch on the drivers side and the harness has a place to snap in two wires where the ground wire goes into the switch. One plug has the white wire that goes over to the other door switch but the second socket (for the overhead light) is empty and I can not find the wire. I believe it was there and just touching the "Y" connectors for the two wires but not shoved in firmly causing an intermittant light and that it come out when I removed the door switch. I know that if I find that overhead light ground wire and attach it to the door switch the overhead light will work but I can't find the stupid wire. I have been on my head and done all that I can do and no wire to be found anywhere under the left side of the dash.

Does anyone know where the overhead light white ground wire comes from? I assume it comes out of a harness under the dash. Where is the wire?

Thanks
Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
White wire, from memory runs down the inside of the left A pillar straight to the door switch, the orange wire runs up there as well but that go's to the fusebox I think. you may be able to get at it by removing the kick pannel ? Otherwise try feeding another one down the pillar, but you may have to unpick some of the headliner ? good luck.
Dave

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,
No offense intended but, are you sure it comes through the pillar? I have looked everywhere under the dash on the driver's side and I can not find the white ground wire for the overhead lamp anywhere. I have done everything but pull the dash.

I can't imagine the work it would take to pull a new ground.... and it has to come out somewhere. These five minute jobs always seem to take all day. Any ideas guys?

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
None taken, but I did say "from memory" so l've checked my 67 fisher body manual and it clearly shows the dome light wiring running up the pillar and the "white" connecting directly to the the door switch, but check in the trunk, it's possible it could run up the B pillar ? look for the orange 12v+ wire, It's usually taped to it. Both wires have to reach the dome light somehow. My guess is the connector has broken off the end and the wire and is still just behind the switch somewhere.
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Here's a pic of a 67 dash harness. A is a white wire that connects the left side door jamb switch. B is the right side. C is the orange and white wires that connect to the body/intermediate harness. In the trunk, just behind the rear seat, they connect to the orange and white dome light wires.

A and B have bullet type terminals, if there is no underdash courtesy lights they connect directly to the door jamb switches. If there is courtesy lights they connect to white wires that are part of the courtesy harness, that in turn connect to the jamb switches.

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Chuck. If Dave is correct, The wire will not be under the dash. It will run straight down the A-pillar along the side of the dash and behind the kick panel.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Erlee. That is exactly what I have. I saw "C" when I was under there but it goes into the flat harness to the rear, presumably to the dome light. What I don't see is how the white wire gets grounded (connected to the door switch). I guess it can be connected in the harness to where a and C connect, but if that were the case the light would be on when a and b are grounded.

On the other hand, if C is the dome light and there is a bad connection, I could simply run a wire from the harness where C connects and connect it to the door switch with A. I will try gounding the white wire at C and see if the dome light goes on. I could also have a dirty contact where C goes into the flat harness to the rear. I will check it out.

Thanks buddy!
Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Chuck. If Dave is correct, The wire will not be under the dash. It will run straight down the A-pillar along the side of the dash and behind the kick panel.
I was wrong and I'm sorry for any confusion with the A pillar. I don't know what I was thinking :clonk:and I even looked up the wrong page in the body manual to confirm my wrong answer :wacko: sorry again folks.
Dave

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for being usch a stand up guy, Dave!

I found that I have 12 Volts on both sides of the light fixture, even with the lamp out. I disconnected the body connector from the main harness and I was able to isolate the two lines (+ & -) so the problem seems to be a short somewhere in the main harness. I don't know. I just put it back together and decided to fight this another day.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Thanks for being usch a stand up guy, Dave!

I found that I have 12 Volts on both sides of the light fixture, even with the lamp out. I disconnected the body connector from the main harness and I was able to isolate the two lines (+ & -) so the problem seems to be a short somewhere in the main harness. I don't know. I just put it back together and decided to fight this another day.

Chuck
Lack of sleep, not thinking and too stuborn to admit that I really need to wear reading glasses.
Problem could be under the rear seat, that's a pretty common place for shorts and open circuits ? seat springs wearing through the loom maybe ?
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I'm at work so I can't go look. Let's see if I can both remember this correctly and relate it clearly. (that's trying to do two things at once and not my strong suit ;-) )

On my 67 coupe, I believe my dome light lead connects to the intermediate body harness in the trunk area behind the rear seat and travels up the sail (B pillar?) to the fixture. I think it actually plugs into the intermediate harness at the rear connector of that harness.It travels up the sail panel on the inside of the area where the upper rear side-window weather stripping attaches. It then runs along the edge of the roof panel on the inside of where the rain gutter attaches in the gap between the headliner ribs and the actual roof panel to a point directly opposite the dome light fixture. Then runs laterally across the roof to the fixture. It's a PIA to deal with if the headliner is in there.

Hope I remembered and communcated this correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts