Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to know were to look on the frame of my 71 to find the VIN#. I know the car has been hit on the drivers side front. I'm also thinking that the core support has been replaced. I want to find out if the frame had to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
This question may be one of the most interesting posted in a while. When I asked a little bit about this topic of the vehicle inspectors, they were politely quiet. I am sure that they would prefer to keep this info out of the hands of the public. However, something like must be known to the frame-off restorers. The same question could be asked about where the extra numbers appear on the body.
good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,903 Posts
I have heard that there is a VIN on TOP of one of the frame rails on Chevelles. I've seen the ones behind the evaporator box on A/C cars.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I didn't see mine until it was already sandblasted and I was applying the POR-15. I noticed some numbers on the top surface of the frame rail on the drivers side of the car adjacent to the fuel tank. Mine is a 67 Model coupe.
John Walker

·
Gold Founding Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. Since it may be on the top of the frame rail I really won't know until I take the body off the frame. Anyone else have an idea?

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
On my 65 Impala, the number was on the outside, not the top, of the driver's side rear frame rail.

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
HvyChvy71, On the top of my frame at about the center mount there is a # that begins with a (B) that I'm sure is a vin#. In another post on this site someone said that the part # was on the rear of the frame near the gas tank. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
I've done 3 frame-offs on '70's, 2 LS5's and one GTO Judge. The VIN was stamped on the top of the frame rail, on the rear piece behind the wheel and between the rearmost two body mount holes. Both were Atlanta cars. The GTO was stamped on the left rail in the same place.
The numbers on the side of the left rear frame rail visible behind the rear tire and exhaust are the manufacturer stamp, the date it was built and the GM part number. I have yet to see a 70 with the VIN stamped behind the blower housing. However, there are people here whose cars are stamped there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.