Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I am trying to find the ignition relay on my 69 ss. I'm having trouble with the radio staying on when the key is off. I have narrowed it down by the schematic in the 69 chevelle service manual to the ignition relay.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
No such thing as an ignition relay. The radio will go off as the key is turned to the OFF position. Are you having problems as the key is moved beyond the OFF position?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, when the key is in the off position, The radio circuit is still getting 12v and it is not the circuit for the memory and clock. What is the ignition relay shown in the schematic?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
It sounds like you are trying to install an after market radio. At least that's what I think I am reading. You sure you have it hooked up right?. The attached thread describes a typical after market hook-up.
Your power wire should connect to either the original yellow radio wire or a terminal on the fuse block marked ACC or IGN. The fuse block radio fuse gets power from the ignition switch. Still don't know what ignition relay you see. Where do you see it on the schematic? What is it next to? http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum22/HTML/001615.html

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
ed
There is an ignition switch at the bottom of the steering column. A rod from the key moves the switch. It may be out of adjustment. Simple to adjust, loosen the 2 (?) screws and slide it a little. But I'd think that you would have other items staying on too. Does the heater fan work in the OFF position?
rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts