Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a1968 chevelle malibu convertable that has a factory buick interior. I have looked under the back seat and inside of the back of the front seats with no luck. this car was built in kansas city the third week in april. Thanks in advance BILL.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Behind the kik panels-under the carpet -under the dash pad- sorry thats all I can think of I have never done a rag top so there may b some more neat hiding places that I dont know about, Gene Mcgill is a good 68 guy to ask, Good Luck L89SEDAN

·
Registered
738 Posts
I found mine on top of my gas tank after dropping it for a rebuild...and was it corroded - I wish the factory would have placed it inside a protective bag or something. I have also heard of them being under the back seat too. I just hope yours is not on top of your gas tank

------------------

·
Registered
38 Posts
Found the one for my big block car inside the coils of the rear seat back.... and then went gunning for the guy I bought it from.

The build sheet read: "4bbl 350 engine".

Luckily for both of us, it took me a week to find him. After reading it over several more times, I realized the vin# on it was 2 numbers off. The options/colors/etc were the same. Afraid it might have gotten ugly!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have heard of wrong build sheets before. These things are very hit and miss.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
One of our Baltimore built cars had part of a build sheet in the rear seat back and it was from an SS convertible built about 80 cars before ours. They don't even have the same seat back. Go figure. During production there are production mistakes, scheduling mistakes and just plain mistakes so vehicles and subassemblies are set out and set back in later if the mistake can't be corrected on the fly. This could account for some of the discrepancies.

·
Registered
648 Posts
i pulled my front bench seat from my 69 ht and found part of a build sheet in the foam padding on the pass. side front of the bottom seat. the covers had been changed but this area hadn't been touched. kinda like a treasure hunt. unfortunately in only showed some trim colors. happy hunting. john

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found 2 broadcast sheets when I did my '68 GS400 Convertible. One each in the upper and lower back seat. They could be virtually anywhere or nowhere. As COPO said, it's hit or miss, they were not legal documents, just used to tell the line workers what went in/on the car. Many were just thrown away. I've not found one in a Chevelle yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i found mine under the drivers seat, tucked into the springs. and i talked to the previous owner, and he found the other in the back seat. good luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have you looked inside the passenger side door panel? Apparently, for Atlanta-built Chevelles that's where the workers liked to put 'em.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I have heard of some buildsheets being found under the headliner. I have a 70SS that was built in Arlington, TX. I don't know anyone that has ever found a buildsheet in a 70 Chevelle built at this plant. Different plants apparently had different policies regarding buildsheets. I have a number of different parts cars and have found buildsheets under the rear seat cushion and on top of the gas tank. Unfortunately, the buildsheets I have found on top of the gas tank were almost illegible due to their deteriorated condition.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Hey all -

Went looking for the build sheet in my '70 Chevelle and found one in the back seat springs - for a Camaro! The car was built in L.A., so I'm guessing they built Camaros there too. I bought the car from the original owner's son, and the sheet looked like it had been there from day one due to the rust stains from the springs, so I suspect it was put there at the factory. Just another example of the mixups that happened. Still have a few more places to look for the real build sheet!

Rainer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey 1970SS! I had an Arlington built 70 SS and the build sheet was under the sound deadener on the drivers side , under the back seat. Unfortunately, it was stuck to it so bad that any attempt to peel it off would have ruined it.

Hey Ranier! I also have a Van Nuys built Chevelle that had a Camaro build sheet in the back seat. Those boys must have had some fun lunch hours!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.