Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my spirited driving this weekend I came to the conclusion that I may have a positraction in my El Camino. I attached a picture from the rear, and it looks like what would be a typical 10 bolt for 1967, other than that, can someone tell me where the ID numbers would be? From what I read it would be on the passenger side axle tube towards the front of the car, correct? What about the casting numbers?
Also I cannot find pictures to determine if this is a factory 1967 rear sway bar.

·
Registered
12,997 Posts
El Caminos never came with rear swaybars to my knowledge. At least not the 70-72 for sure.

Numbers should be on the front of the passenger side tube, yes.

·
Registered
14,963 Posts
That looks like a factory sway bar. If someone installed that they could have installed different gears and a posi so the stampimgs will tell you what it originally came with. My nova was stamped a 3.31 posi but had a 4.10 posi inside and to top it off it originally came out of a 68 chevelle. (yes the perches were cut and replaced).

·
Premium Member
7,643 Posts
GM didn't put the F41 suspension, with the rear sway bar, in Chevelles until 1969. Even then it wasn't a popular option and only about 600 odd were ordered. That's the bar that was used in '69 and later.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It did have 1969 Style disc brakes on it when we got it 15 years ago, so maybe there are other swaps done on it. I would love to get in touch with one of the original owners. Would there be any markings on the bar to help ID it?

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
GM didn't put the F41 suspension, with the rear sway bar, in Chevelles until 1969. Even then it wasn't a popular option and only about 600 odd were ordered. That's the bar that was used in '69 and later.
I respectfully disagree about the sway bar.
1965 Z16 Chevelles had a sway bar.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am bumping my old thread, I haven't been on much lately, but I have been seeing more 1967 El Caminos with Rear bars, including the "L79" one on eBay for $60,000, and the restomod one on eBay for $20,000. Is it definitive that in 1967, El Caminos did NOT EVER get rear bars from the factory. I have read many posts that dance around this but nothing definitive, including references to no rear bar with air shocks, and thing like that. But if anything, it would help to control the airshocks. Also other GM vehicles could be had with air shocks and rear bars (Monte Carlos I think, and others).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.