Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. My wife just bought me a 71 Chevelle for our 10th anniversary. Seems to run great although there's some noise in the rear end (sort of humming at different speeds). The brakes aren't working well and the back end seems to be sitting low. I am totally new to working on cars but know a lot of people to help me out. I'm looking forward to this learning experience but am not sure where and what parts I should get. I'd greatly appreciate any and all suggestions!

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Well, you sure came to the right place!

Check out the search function - once you know what you want to work on, there's tons of info from previous questions to look through that help out a lot.

Personally, I've seen too many brake failures on old cars - it's absolutely the first thing I would tackle. You can stop great without altering much just by using praisedynobrake.com products if you're using drums.

However, your lines are my personal worry point, as I've had one of my own cars fail due to lines rusting from the inside. Not to scare you, but just be aware - you likely just need a good flush and new pads/shoes etc.

After that, it's whatever bugs you the most, LOL - there's always something to do. But safety items like brakes and suspension are key IMO. Most of them have really bad bushings and can use new springs/shocks and bushings that will make a world of difference in handling.

Congrats (NICE WIFE!) and enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Hi Kurt -

Our wives are a lot alike. Yours bought you a car and mine let me buy a car.

Marks' comments and advice are spot on. You want to address those brakes first thing.

You mentioned in your thread that you are "totally new to working on cars". Owning a 37 year old car will certainly be a learning experience! In case you're wondering, those bushings that Mark referred to are your front suspension upper and lower control arm bushings. If they are original, they're probably due to be replaced as Mark suggests. There's also body bushings and rear control arm bushings but those can come in good time.

And, as Mark pointed out, the search function here can be invaluable. There's a gold mine of information right at your finger tips. Oh yeah, one more thing. That wife of yours deserves at least a weekend getaway with a lobster dinner thrown in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys!:yes: I've got some help coming and I'm ready to tackle this thing! Let the education begin!

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Welcome a congrats on the great WIFE!!!
The first thing you need to do is order this trio of books and do some reading. SHOP MANUAL SET 1971 CHEVELLE Then dig in and have fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the assembly manual and the chiltons coming. I'll definitely look into the others. I really want the brakes done so I can start enjoying it.

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Dollars to piece of mind. Spend the money and replace ALL of the brake lines, hardware and wheel cylinders.
I installed new lines on my sons Nova. Replaced rear wheel cylinders (signs of leakage), Fronts looked good so I left them alone. He had the car on the road less than a month when the left front cylinder blew. He lost braking and rearended a Toyota PU. Luckily no one was hurt but he now needs a new hood and grill.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, we bled the lines (lots of air), then found a leak in a rear cylinder. Sounds like replacing all sounds good. Everything else looked good, but maybe take a closer look. Thanks! Any suggestions for rear shocks?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Ground up is close to you and has the original shocks, good prices and nice people to do business with.Get their catalog and start the wish list.
enjoy the car and post some photos for all of us to pick it apart.(only kidding) there are some very smart chevelle lovers on this site that will guide you through the whole process.:yes: Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.