Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for my '69. The metal underneath the package tray is rusted on both sides. These top side pieces are spot welded. They also attach to the inner wheel well. I found you can buy the whole package tray with the rear seat support, but that cost $400. I just need these pieces on both sides. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pieces I need are on the top flat section. Basically from the top corner of the vertical surface back to where it terminates under the rear window frame. l I have been fabricating everything up to this point, but this has more bends than I can do. Do you have a shop to fabricate these pieces? What would you want to make them? Thanks

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,795 Posts
Clarence, You could try the two Chevelle salvage yards mentioned in my current thread in the Chevelle Tech forum. Contact info is there.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Von, I will give them a call Monday.
Hopefully they will have something.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Something else you may want to think about. My side panels were rotted out pretty good also.

I wanted to add some 3 point retractor seatbelts, so I made a box out of 3/16" flat plate. The piece that was left over I filled with just regular old 16 gauge sheetmetal. I made a template out of cardboard and hand formed with just a vise with an anvil, hammer, and a dolly.

Pay no attention to the ugly welds. This was the first weekend I switched my welder from Flux Cored over to MIG. Anyway This only took me about 45 minutes per side. and I think it turned out pretty good.

Steve

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deserttaco, I like the repair you made. My one question is where the panel normally drops down along the outboard edge. The lack of that drop down, does it pose a problem for installing the package tray, or the interior sail panel?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I think I solved my own problem. Von, I tried the salvage yards in your thread and the only one still open was the one in NC, but it was closed today. So I had some time today and have been hammering metal all morning. I still have a little more work on it, but I think it's going to work alright. I'm glad I have only one more to make. It's not the prettiest thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Deserttaco, I like the repair you made. My one question is where the panel normally drops down along the outboard edge. The lack of that drop down, does it pose a problem for installing the package tray, or the interior sail panel?
Thanks.

I don't know... Although it would be pretty easy to make that panel with the proper dropoff. It wouldn't be too hard to form that, or even just cutting a small strip and welding at at the 90 degrees point. The only piece that "MAY" Interfere with stock components I think would be the 1/8th inch flat stock that I welded to the outboard edge for support of the seatbelt box.

I really wasn't worried about fitment of the package tray or ear muffs, as I will be making custom ones probably out of fiberglass. But I doubt that if you do something like what I did, I really doubt that it'd interfere with either. My car didn't have either when I bought it, so I didn't have anything to reference.

·
Registered
668 Posts
OK, I think I solved my own problem. Von, I tried the salvage yards in your thread and the only one still open was the one in NC, but it was closed today. So I had some time today and have been hammering metal all morning. I still have a little more work on it, but I think it's going to work alright. I'm glad I have only one more to make. It's not the prettiest thing.

That looks EXCELLENT!!! Good Job!

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,795 Posts
Looks great. It will all be hidden anyway. I doubt if a salvage yard would be willing to cut/drill that out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts