Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '70 Elky and I'd like to get some really good speakers for the dash and a good Am/FM cassette radio to go with them. Anyway, does anyone know where I can get great speakers for the dash? I have a stereo dash by the way. Please help. The ones in there now are not even factory; one's from a Volvo and the other's a midrange from a big speaker.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Built on: November 25, 1969 in Baltimore
Green Mist #45 w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl Small Block
Factory Dual Exhaust and Rally Wheels
www.dreamelectric.com

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I had Radio shack order some good ones from their catalog to go in the factory speaker locations in my '72. Get a Crutchfield catalog and see what they suggest also.

------------------
' 72 Malibu project ACES # 1282 Team Member # 427
' 70 C-10 Pickup

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
High Performance Speakers??? Do they make your car go faster??? let me know, I might have to buy some....lol...I would rather listen to the rumpety rump of my cam than a stereo any day....

------------------
1972 Malibu,461 cid.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Shawn
www.customautosound sells a variety of radios with all the bells and whistles. And the best part is they will fit in the original stock radio cutout in your dash. You do not have to cut up your dash panel.

Now that may not be important, but later you may want to return your elky to stock configuration. Can't do that if you have a big hole in the middle. If you get a radio that doesn't fit in the dash put it in the glove box or under the seat.

Having said my piece, its your car do what you think best.

------------------
Rick (Abilene Texas)
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4
Aces #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038

·
Registered
283 Posts
We've ( us poor boys )have been pulling Infinitys and JBLs out of Caddies and Lincons for for years 2-5 bucks each and you know granny wasn't blasting em. All shapes and sizes.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette,71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rick: I want to keep it stock and I would never think of cutting anything for that reason. I would just like some very, very good speakers so I can play my music loud and not lose the sound (I listen to late 60's and early 70's music by the way). If I had hi-perf speakers it wouldn't be noticeable at a car show anyway because they're under the dash pad.

What are the dimensions of the stock speakers in the dash so I can get new ones that will fit? I can't measure them because they're missing from my car.

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 10-21-99).]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Shawn,,,why not just get an amp and wire up some really good speakeres for in back of the seat? I guess Im just lazy,,,but do enjoy a good sounding stereo ,, and have no complaints the way my ELK is ( music) that is...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.