Team Chevelle banner

Where can I find a 454 front A/C bracket?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  oscar_a_wiggy 
#1 ·
I amn looking for a front A/C bracket for a BBC for the a/c compressor for my '71.
This is the pice that bolts to the front of the compressor right behind the clutch and is used to adjust the belt tension.
It looks like the letter "C".
I've checked e-bay and the classsifieds but no help.
Any ideas? ( I dont want aftermarket as the rest is factory)
Thanks

#2 ·
I doubt that you are gonna find this part new. E-bay is iffy as you know. If it is there it is there if not well then your still in the position of looking.

Consider Hemmings. Hemmings is online so you can search their listing. I almost am willing to say "it has to be available on Hemmings".

Also consider some of the bone yards out there in the Southwest. They seem to keep the cars forever because the sheet metal doesn't go to junk. As a result the "shell" doesn't need crushing or rust into dust so the parts stay with the car.

Two other points. You might be looking at the need to choke out the money for an entire set of compressor brackets. Here is the logic...if someone has a full set and they break it down to sell you what you want then whatever is left is harder for them to sell because what is left is an incomplete set. See where I am going? Helping you might create a problem for them. Unless they have the specific item you need and only that specific item they are risking getting stuck with the parts you don't need / want.

Last point. You REALLY need the part numbers for what you are after. I can see the part you want in my head. In point of fact I have a complete set of brackets including what you want in my basement right now. See above paragraph for why I don't want to part individual components from the set. I am keeping what I have for a future project so in effect nothing I have is for sale.

If you have the part number for what you want your search gets much easier for obvious reasons. Along with the part number you need the APPLICATIONS that used that P/N. In many cases a part number was used for several years. If you know the range of applications for the part you can say "P/N NNNNNN wanted ...A/C front comp bracket fits 70 to 71 Chevelle BBC 74 to 76 Chevelle BBC and 70 to 71 Series XX Pickups with A/C and BB engine.

Knowing these numbers just broadens the places you can search and the ways you can electronically search. A GM parts book will help you here. You know what part you want..find the P/N in the GM book then you can scan the appropriate section of the parts book (known in GM lingo as the "Group" ) for that same P/N.

To determine the Group Number that your part will appear in you need the Illustration Index. This is a picture book that is categorized by functionality. You get a picture of the part as installed in a car / on an engine or whatever. An illustration is offered for your particular part as it would be installed in the car.. From there you are directed to the "Group" of parts that have that function. All Comp brackets for all cars are listed together in a single "Group" Once you finish this little exercise you have your P/N and every place they used it on passenger cars. Truck applications would require a different parts books.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Thanks. I do have the part number ( 3969916) and use it to verify that its the part I want. Just cant seem to find an individual piece as opposed to a set.
But thank you for your info and insight!

#4 ·
My friend his brother and I were walking around the Charlotte Auto Fair vendor area a few years ago looking for the same thing you are. Three sets of eyes scanning the ground. I looked at a bunch of parts laid out on the ground ...THERE IT WAS!!! All by itself with out the rest of the parts for a full "system" . $15.00!!!! It used to be fun looking for stuff in a yard or at a swap meet. Finding the piece you needed was exciting if it was the "last thing I need". Truth is though you look more times for the part and come up with a zilch and that just drags out the search.

You and I know these things are around the issue is locating one as I am sure you are aware.

Good luck!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.