1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I remember those good old days as well. My dad would let us kids to sit in the back of his 57 Chevy Pickup, and drive to his work on pay day to get his check, and then go to the bank. Then we would stop at Ottos dairy, which was near our home, for some real ice cream cones.
Thats a big car there in that CL ad!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember those good old days as well. My dad would let us kids to sit in the back of his 57 Chevy Pickup, and drive to his work on pay day to get his check, and then go to the bank. Then we would stop at Ottos dairy, which was near our home, for some real ice cream cones.
Thats a big car there in that CL ad!
Yeah, we used to ride in my the back of my grandfathers 63 chevy pickup and went fishing down some old dirt roads.Drove for miles.
Funny,no one ever fell out.:grin2:

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
We would ride in dad's '64 F100 and sit on the bed rails until we hit pavement, then he'd rap on the rear window to sit at least on the wheelwell. We probably never reached speeds over 35. I started driving that same truck at age 9. Didn't have crazy traffic back then. Years later, my second car, a Fiat 128 lost it's throttle rod clip and we were 40 miles from home. Late at night, I climbed in the engine compartment with the hood half open. Front hinge. My buddy drove and I ran the carb by hand. It was a 4 speed! His head hanging out the window all the way home and me freezing by ars off...actually cuddled close to the engine to keep a little warm. This was at freeway speeds for well over a half hour. No cops, no ticket, got to bed that morning with a huge smile and a self promise never to do something that stupid ever again.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
or boats.:grin2:

I remember my father had one when I was a kid and we would drive to up state Maine from Ct. every year for 2 week vaca.9-10 hour drive back then.
I would sleep in the back window because I was the youngest of the 3 boys and my sister rode in front with my parents.

50 plus years ago???:surprise: Fun times.:smile2:

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/d/new-haven-1959-cadillac-deville/7024349864.html
I remember the 59 Kingswood wagon the old man had. It too was a boat. Third seat faced backward. 235 6 banger, auto trans, 14' aluminum boat on top with golf clubs and scuba gear, 3 kids dog, and Mom. The trip was to the family digs in Maine as well, driving from Chicago. 2 weeks in August and the ocean was barely warm enough to stay in for 5 minutes. I remember going through the tunnels in PA and then when we got to Maine, stopping for clams and lobster just over the Portsmouth bridge at Warren's lobster house. Loved to look at the submarines at the ship yard. Figures that later on in life I would be on one.
Fun times in the family boat with a ton of memories. Life was simple and good back then. :D I want a do over!

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
That '59 Caddy would be a fun cruiser. Ad says it needs an engine. I've got a '69 Caddy 472/375 hp just laying around.....

Lotsa cash to buy the car though.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
You mean when cars were land yachts. Hail to the boat captains of yesterday.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
My father had a 65 4dr Ford Galaxie. It was that Ford turquoise color. I remember when the muffler rotted out and then the car sounded so cool then. He must have thought so too because he left it like that for awhile.
I'm sure that's when I caught the car bug.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
That '59 Caddy would be a fun cruiser. Ad says it needs an engine. I've got a '69 Caddy 472/375 hp just laying around.....

Lotsa cash to buy the car though.
Augy I don't think it needs an engine the ad says it would just be a good car for a swap ( Perfect for an engine swap.) thats the exact wording on the ad.BUt if it does need an engine that's a lot of dough for a dead car :eek:

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Augy I don't think it needs an engine the ad says it would just be a good car for a swap ( Perfect for an engine swap.) thats the exact wording on the ad.BUt if it does need an engine that's a lot of dough for a dead car :eek:
Actually... it's a steep ask for a 4-door Caddy. The only thing it's got going for that kind of price is if it's a genuine low mile survivor (window shouldn't be too hard to get sorted).

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Yeah, I see that now. "Ready to be driven".

Reactions: 71350SS

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have 4 brothers and 3 sisters and my parents had a 64 Dodge station wagon that would fit all 10 of us.
3 in the front, 3 in the middle and 4 in the back in 2 seats that’s faced one another.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
or boats.:grin2:

I remember my father had one when I was a kid and we would drive to up state Maine from Ct. every year for 2 week vaca.9-10 hour drive back then.
I would sleep in the back window because I was the youngest of the 3 boys and my sister rode in front with my parents.

50 plus years ago???:surprise: Fun times.:smile2:

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/d/new-haven-1959-cadillac-deville/7024349864.html

My granddad bought this car new.
It was my very first car and I bought it in 1962-------------------still my daily driver today-----------------and as a kid I also rode up in the rear window when I went fishing with Granddad.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
1978, rode in the back of a pickup with an aluminum shell on it 800 miles from Michigan to Wisconsin to see my grandma. Me and my brother. Had a blast.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We would ride in dad's '64 F100 and sit on the bed rails until we hit pavement, then he'd rap on the rear window to sit at least on the wheelwell. We probably never reached speeds over 35. I started driving that same truck at age 9. Didn't have crazy traffic back then. Years later, my second car, a Fiat 128 lost it's throttle rod clip and we were 40 miles from home. Late at night, I climbed in the engine compartment with the hood half open. Front hinge. My buddy drove and I ran the carb by hand. It was a 4 speed! His head hanging out the window all the way home and me freezing by ars off...actually cuddled close to the engine to keep a little warm. This was at freeway speeds for well over a half hour. No cops, no ticket, got to bed that morning with a huge smile and a self promise never to do something that stupid ever again.
Did something similar in a VW squareback when I was in high school I would hold the throttle about 1/3 open while he let the clutch out then as soon as it was time to shift id let off the throttle he'd shift and I'd apply more throttle .lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
I always rode in the bed of my dads 54 Chevy truck everytime we went camping . I LOVED IT . I really wish I had that truck

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
I don't know in how many states riding in the back of a truck is illegal now, but in California its been since seat belt laws were enacted. I can't recall how many times my parents would put all us kids with the dog in the back of our 60 Ford stepside and go up into the mountains each winter for a day of sledding or inner tubing down 'Eskimo Hill'. Mom would make sure we had a thermos or two of hot chocolate to stay warm. Fond memories.
I also recall a winter night several years later when I was in the Navy. I was driving from San Diego to the Bay Area in the same truck. Around midnight I picked up some college students in Santa Barbara that were hitching a ride. A couple got into the cab, the others rode in the back. They were on their way to UC Berkley which was just a few miles past my destination.
Enjoyable trip, kept me awake, but every now and then I picked up a strange smell coming from outside... :wink2:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I remember when we were kids we would sit in the bed of a pickup to go places when there was more people than would fit in the cab. We would also be in ther with tools and supplies.my momom used to hold my babby sister on her lap in dad,s 52 chevy deluxe 4 door when we went places in the old days. You would hang your head out the window etc etc. If we ever did that up this way these days, they would have dad in shackles and leg irons mom would be charges with child abuse and child endangerment and what ever else they could think of . I have to say you could not do that today because of way to many cars and a ton of traffic .my god the things that we have seen change in fifty years.all totaled up we have lots of advancements and luxuries today but life was much easier and less stressful years ago than today. Just a reflection . Alex

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I remember riding around in the bed of a 1960's International 1010 pickup. Even back in 1970 we were on alert to keep our heads down if a cop was spotted. I also used to ride around in the far back storage area behind the back seat of mom's 1960 Bug.

Today around here if you are short and don't have a booster seat, the police will see to it that you are walking to your destination.

Back in 1958 the Cadillac Eldorado Brougham came with a decanter & shot glasses for the rear seat passengers. Use them today and your license will be gone for at least a year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts