Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the dope who was working on my chevelle (me) forgot to tighten up the lug nuts after working on my brakes. On the drive home, I almost lost the damn wheel, ended up snapping 2 lugs and losing another....it was barely hanging on by the last lug .(was already missing one from a lock I didnt have the key for) which was way too loose. Took one off each of the front wheels so as to limp home, and snapped another stud when I cranked down on it.
Anyways, I am about through flirting with disaster. Need to replace the studs and I was wondering if there is any special procedure to removing and replacing them?

Thanks,
"One-Nut" Jerry

------------------
66 Malibu SS

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Drum brakes? I just tap em out with a small heavy hammer. One quick blow usually does it. I would try to jam a piece of wood behind the wheel hub or axle hub to keep anything from getting damaged. If you are worried about it take off the hub or pull the axle first to knock em out on the bench. It normally doesnt take much effort to knock em out, so dont wind up with the hammer
If you have studs broken flush, use a bolt as a punch and that should help. Then for installing the new one, just slide it in and tighten up a lug nut on it to pull it into the hub. Yeah its crude but it works.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dave..thats what I figured, but wanted to make sure. Your from Hyde Park?...you ever been to that pick and pull over there, A+T, I think it is? I here 'em advertise on WPDH all the time...they any good?

Jerry

------------------
66 Malibu SS

[This message has been edited by 1966MalibuSS (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Wow I didnt even realize we are so close! A/T pick your part isnt far from me, but it only applies to a select area of cars. You cant go into the area of the yard with the "good" stuff. You may want to check it out, but dont expect much..

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
I've used an air chisel with a point tip to push those studs out. Real easy that way, if the hammer doesn't work.

chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.