Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 72 malibu with stock springs, air shocks, 10 bolt 8.2" with 3.73 gears and a locker has a crazy ammount of wheel hop when I dump the clutch. Has anyone cured it with Jegs No hop bars for coil springs. Do they mount between the upper control arm and rear end? Do they work good? Anybody use one that had problems?

·
Premium Member
4,782 Posts
Brad,
I have never used them, but I do know that using air shocks is usually a cause for severe wheel hop. I have the old traditional NMW ladder bars.

Jim R.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Brad, if you want serious traction you should lose the air shocks. I removed mine and the ladder bars. I installed a new set of coils and a pair of sears $12.95pr cheapy shocks. I also use those "urethane" bushings.
I get no wheel hop even with slicks. Rick...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey, I was interested in the wheel hop with air shocks. I was planning to install a pair on my '70 SS clone (505hp); for some reason I thought the air shocks would yield a better "plant" for the wheels. Why do they create the "hop"? Anyone else care to comment as well? Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
183 Posts
HI BRADLEY, had same problem on my 69 ss 396 375hp 4sp 410posi. I got a pair of lakewood adjustable traction bars. Sloved problem, went on nice and easy. no drilling, they bold right in. Hope this helps, and I have air shocks.

------------------
BILL TIRELLI TEAM CHEVELLE MEMBER#280 1969 BLK CHEVELLE SS396 375HP 4SP 410 POSI
STATEN ISLAND NY

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
You might try boxing the lower control arms before the other things. Fairly easy and then move on one at a time. I have Art Morisson Hop stop bars and boxed lowers. Cured the hop.

Dan

------------------
Central Illinois
69 Cortez silver SS 427
69 azure turquois Malibu 250
ACES #02351
Team Chevelle Gold #35

R

·
0 Posts
Years ago when my '69 was used for street racing, I used aluminum bushings in my boxed lower control arms and removed the rear sway bar. I also ditched my air shocks. My rear tires stayed PLANTED on the pavement!

Rick

------------------
'69 SS 396 L78
'81 GMC Caballero 4 speed
Team Chevelle Gold Member #152
ACES #560
NCOA #2615
Bel Air, MD

·
Registered
51 Posts
davewright99:

Air shocks, with more than 15lbs of air in them don't act like shock absorbers at all, and are more like cheapo air springs...Instead of dampening wheel hop they actually multiply it!

I swapped out the air shocks on my '69 El Camino due to bad wheel hop and replaced them with some nice, but moderately-price gas charged shocks. I overcame the sag in rear of the car by running taller tires in the rear vs the front, hacking a coil out of the front springs and adding a few hundred pounds w/a mouse to rat swap. The stance was awsome, and the hookup surprised a lot of people -- including some 'velle owners who though 'Caminos have no traction...

------------------
68 El Camino...Slow, Much Work Required
98 Z28...Fast, No Work Required
Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, TX -- Where? That's what I said..

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I put boxed in control arms on the rear and the rear sway bar and cured my wheelhop problems for good now need to get rid of the 15x8 ralleys on back and go to 15x10 with 275's maybe a little more traction I hope.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

·
Registered
826 Posts
Speakin' of hopping...anyone got an extra coild air bag they want to get rid of? (cheap!) We only need the one!

BTW, we don't have wheel hop, don't have air shocks, do have lower boxed arms, but the back end just keeps slidin' around when you hammer that throttle! (4spd, 3.73s)

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
Indianapolis,IN www.iquest.net/~bharold/chevelle/

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. I have springs that are about 5 yrs. old, so I am going to replace those, and throw in some Gabriel Shocks. Or maybe Koni, depends on the cash flow after this holiday season : ) Happy holidays everyone.

·
Registered
648 Posts
no-hop bars worked well for me. after the re-build to boxed upper and lower a bit taller springs and new gas shocks my wheels hopped like crazy, the no-hop bars solved the problem. Jeggs aprox 100. ps by the way i developed a vibration in my shifter, i suppect the pinion angle difference put a bigger load on the u-joints, i'll change them this winter. by the way the sway bar has nothing to do with wheel hop. good luck john..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Another thing that I noticed with the airshocks on my Chevelle (new springs and gas shocks are the first project this spring) is that when I release the clutch fast enough to bust loose the tires, put dont' just dump it, there is a lot less wheel hop, as a matter of fact sometimes there isn't any until the tires really get spinning.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I put NO-HOP bars on my 65. Other than having to put an after market dif cover on so I can check the lube (the bars covered the stock plug) they work very good. I get a nice even "plant" lots of tire smoke (radialTAs)but no hop. Don't ladder bars create a clearence problem in some cases?

L

·
0 Posts
Bradley, this has been discussed many times. You might try doing a search. No-Hop bars work very well, and are by far the best bang for the buck. They will cure your wheelhop.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had severe wheel hop after installing soft compound tires. The first thing I did was install new springs. The old springs were sagging bad. This allowed me to lower the air pressure in the shocks. I split the line and run 15# in the right and 5#in the left. I still had some hop. So, I installed southside machine bars. These do the same thing as the stop hop bars (change the rear end geometry) except on the bottom arms. They work great. I have no wheel hop, and the car hooks better.

[This message has been edited by JSchmitz (edited 12-14-99).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
wheel hop
i had the same probelm with mine, i got a 1970 chevelle which i just got finished pro streeting but what i did was ordered a sert of lakewood adj, traction bars and it worked
i took and jacked the car up by the body so that the car was a little bit off the suspenion then took and adjusted them , wihch was to keep jacking it up and down till you got it right ,but you want to set the rear end so where the pinion is set about 4 degrees down when the car is setting on the ground from scott ploof

·
Registered
78 Posts
I put no hopps on my 70 ss 396 worked 100% for me and launches you out of the hole better

make sure the rubber are good in your upper arms

Kirk #546 aces #3228

------------------

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.