Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My windshield wipers are the hidden type (I can tell because on the flange on the stainless thing in the cowl)but when I turn them off they stay about a 1/4 of the way up from where they're supposed to be in the off position. Also, when they're on, the one on the driver's side always hits the windshield trim on the side. What can I do to fix this or what's wrong with them? I thought maybe a previous owner put in a non-hidden type motor but I could be wrong. Thanks a lot.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Factory Dual Exhaust
Non-SS with Factory Rallies!
TH-350 Automatic - 2.73 Posi Rear
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 01-27-2000).]

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Shawn,
Just take the wiper arms off and re-adjust them so they wont hit the window trim.

------------------
Rick
67ss bb
But dear, all it needs is a harmonic balancer.....
http://hometown.aol.com/rdpriebe

·
Registered
19 Posts
When you turn off the wipers does it stop or pause on the windsheild and then go down or does it just come to a stop. My 68 has hidden wipers and when I turn them off they go down to the stainless pause for a second and continue on down. I think you could take off the wiper arm and reposition it in just about any position so it doesn't hit the stainless, right now I am looking at the possibility of putting intermittent wipers from a 80 olds cutlass that also has hidden wipers, the motors bolt right up and look almost identical, but thats as far as I have gotten so far.

I hope this long reply helps

Charlie

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I turn off the switch, they go down into the cowl (I don't think they ever go down far enough so they rest on the ledge on the stainless)and then come back up so they're almost 1/4 up from where they're supposed to be.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same problem on my car. If your wipers go down a little after you turn them off then you have the right "hidden wiper" motor. Also I tried to take the wiper arms off and re-adjust them but there is a spline or keyway that only allows the arms to be installed in one position. My guess is that the mechanism inside the cowl is worn out or needs a bushing or something. If anyone has done this before I could use the help.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Do this with the pass side arm off the shaft; Loosen the two nuts on the rod connected to the motor crank (under the cowl vents). Hold the driver's side wiper blade against the upper edge of it's stop (bent up lower edge of lower w/s mldg.). Tighten the two nuts (20-30 inch lbs. to be technical). Install pass side arm onto splined shaft so that wiper blade is above it's stop but no higher than 3/4" above it.
Let us know how it goes.
Rich

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
I tried this and that and finally said 'screw it' on my '70. I tried adjusting things, referred to the assembly manual, swapped motors, etc. Nothing worked. They go down after you turn off the wipers, but I still have to manually push down the wipers to get them to rest on the little stops so they will once again be truly hidden.

Hopefully you'll have better luck.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
I had same problem adjusting mine, was always at the beginning of the stainlesss strip. Finally I loosened the two nuts, lifted the drivers' side arm over the stop and resting on the cowl before tightening the nuts. Now when they park the drivers' side almost rests on the stop.

------------------
Jim Hildebrand
Lubbock, TX
TC #345
'69 Malibu

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hate to tell you guys, but these gorgeous cars should never be driven in the rain - I don't think they're waterproof.

------------------
Stan Hanek
'66 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It may be that the problems with these wipers parking incorrectly is due to slack in the linkage from years of use. One other thing that the assy. manual mentions is the position of the motor crank while doing the setup, but on my '69, when I shut the motor off,(park position) it automatically set itself at the position they mention (about 6-1/2 degrees past the 3 o'clock positon looking towards the front of the car) and the crank can only go onto the shaft one way because of the flat on the shaft. Maybe there is something that would cause this to get out of whack? I'm not sure, so check the crank position. If the bronze inserts that surround the ball in the end of the adjustable arm are worn, that would cause too much slack and may prevent the wipers from being pulled down enough.
Rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.