Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remember the highly politically incorrect car magazine that was on sale in the mid-late 80's, with pictures of nice hot cars and semi-naked women? It was available for a few years and then went out of publication.

A friend and I were talking about it the other day and neither of us could remember the name?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BINGO! I remember it well. Unfortunately I think I threw away all the old ones...

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Anyone remember a magazine from the mid-late '70s called Street Racer? I think it was based in the New York City area and had a few color shots and the rest in black and white like newsprint. Real hardcore street machines of the day, like an L88 '68 Camaro with an 8-71 blower, Th400 with a 5,000 stall converter and 4.88 gears. Also had some interesting fiction stories too. Seems like it was around for about two years then gone. I still have some of them.

------------------
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483
Team Chevelle #32 Gold
1968 Chevelle
1991 Z/28

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
That magazine was called cars illustrated. It was published by steven sneider and some of the editors were Cliff Gromer,Tony Defeo,neil van oppre and a couple of others I can,t remember. It covered a lot of N.Y. street racing plus was geared to the average and hardcore street racer. What a great magazine. about 6 mos. ago I was posting on the NSCA bullatin board and had some conversation with all of the editors and he said that the mag never made much money and because of their brash writing style they were getting in trouble. It was the best car mag I,ve ever read

·
Registered
85 Posts
Street Racer & CARS Illustrated were separate magazines, I've got copies of both. They also did a good MUSCLECAR title.

Ratuned is right about the editors and publisher though. They also put out something titled the Chevy Performance Annual or manual... not to be confused with what CHEVROLET publishes though. (I'll check their exact title when I get home).

I found them on newstands in Oklahoma in the 60's-70's.

------------------
our Website: sites.netscape.net/thebowtiegang/homepage

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 10-11-99).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
Need subscription info. for Autobuff!

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Isn't there a book anywhere about street racing in the sixties and seventies?
If not, shouldn't there be? Something with different folks' true accounts along with stories of factory test cars and late-night "tests" on the streets of Detroit, etc?

I love this stuff... Hell, I should write it!

·
Registered
85 Posts
283v8, AUTOBUFF went "belly-up" in the 1980's as far as I can tell.

My brother-in-law had a few copies when it was available. I had never seen it before I looked at his copies.

Man, you're kinda torn between looking at one set of "bumper guards" and the OTHER "pair"... then you turn the page and there's a car from the 50's with HUGE "bumper guards".

------------------
our Website: sites.netscape.net/thebowtiegang/homepage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.