Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Miami and want a hurricane to blow through my car in order to get the A/C as cold as possible. I need maximum CFM at idle.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
I guess you are going to have to explain yourself better,a flex fan on your engine has no effect on how good your a/c works,fyi,you don't want a flex fan on your engine anyway,a good clutch fan is better or you could go electric

------------------
Bob West
1972 Malibu 454+.030
350 turbo-3.73's
in street trim(radial tires)
12.81 @ 107.06 (2.02 60 ft.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forget about power, I need air flow across the condensor. I'm not looking for HP. I want air flow.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Only two options for catagory 5 wind thru the radiator & condensor.
Mark VIII electric fan
Windstar twin fans

I don't know much about the Windstar, but I installed the Mark VIII on my 69 and even in 100 degree Texas weather, the AC temps went down 10 degrees! You need a 100 amp alternator. It draws up to 40 amps. But the good news is it's only ~ $120. That's 5,000+ CFM. You can order one here:
www.houstonperformance.com

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Those flex fans EAT horsepower, and lots of it. Car Craft had an article and dyno tests on them (1-2 yrs ago?), it was amazing. Anyway, I know the 10,000 rpm stainless steel flex fan available at Summit moves LOTS of air, I had one before. I don't think it will have any effect on your air temp though.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I had alot of heat problems early on. I went way out of my way to get the proper clutch fan and shroud. The GM engineers did their homework on moving air through the radiator. Why second guess them.
Depedability, reliability!
I haven't had a problem since. Remember these fans were engineered for long life and to get the job done. I'm sure GM spent a buck or two in the design.

FastSS396man

------------------
69' SS396 Chevelle
L78 396/375hp
M-21 Close Ratio
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!

·
Registered
461 Posts
The air flow thru the condenser has much to do with how cool your AC works if at all, Despite what Rapid Robert said. Something to do with basic physics that converts liquid to gas or something similiar! I swear by a good fan clutch and seven blade OEM fan and a shroud. Those that said that GM knew what they were doing are on the money.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a flex fan and it was terrible. I went to a nice big electric fan (though not the Mark VIII or the windstar) and it worked pretty good. Then I went to the GM clutch fan. Nothing cooled my motor better than the clutch fan. I live in the Tampa area and we get an a$$ load of heat here and my motor runs real hot w/o coated headers and so on. With the clutch fan, it keeps my temp at 195* all the time.

-Nathan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.