Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 El Camino, and have a couple of choices. I blew the front pump assembly in my TH350, and now have the choice to put in a new TCI TH400, or replace the TH350. When replacing the pump, do you have to rebuild the whole tranny? Or would I be better off buying the new TH400. It will go behind my 396 with about 400horses.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am by no means a tranny expert. But if I were in your position, I would install the TH 350 unless you are getting a sweet deal on the TCI. The reason I say this is because the TH350, while somewhat less durable than the TH 400, offers less resistance than the 400. This means that you will get less power lost in the transfer and more HP to the rear wheels. It is also lighter and should be able to hold 400 hp without any problems. As for the pump replacement, you'd better ask a trans expert. All those springs and assorted doo-dads give me the shakes.

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Cancer cures smoking. Muncies cure autosmatics.

------------------

·
Registered
37 Posts
DJ
I USED TO WORK IN A TRANS SHOP SO I THINK IM AN EXPERT (HA HA)
THE 350 IS A GOOD PIECE WHENEVER THE PUMP GOES OUT YOU STARVE SOME CRITICAL PIECES FOR TRANS FLUID
IF I WERE YOU I WOULD CONTACT SOME INDEPENDENT TRANS SHOPS IN YOUR AREA AND PRICE A BENCH REBUILD I KNOW IN MY AREA ST. LOUIS YOU CAN GET IT COMPLETLY REBUILT WITH A NEW TORQUE CONVERTER FOR AROUND $200.00
I THINK YOU WOULD BE A LOT HAPPIER IN THE LONG RUN
ALSO BE SURE AND FLUSH YOUR COOLANT LINES ONCE YOU REMOVE YOUR TRANNY
IF YOU WANT A FIRMER SHIFT THEY CAN ADD A SHIFT KIT FOR NOT MUCH MORE MONEY
OH BY THE WAY I WAS THE FLOOR SWEEPER IN THE TRANNY SHOP
JEFF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.