1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
174 Posts
i got cherry bombs on my 66. all i needed was a cheap thing to make it a little less noisy when i more it around. all the neibours game me bad looks when i had only headers. they give a different sound then a regular muffler does. when i get a system put on i am keeping the bombs for when it rots out cuz by then i will have lower insuance i hope and cops won't be after me. n e ways getting off the topic. different sound. my 2 cents

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ive been told that they think i have glasspacks on my car just by hearing it but mine is really quiet i don't like hearing my engine all the time it starts to get annoying all i know is that my car is really quiet until i really get on it.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
They were cheap to make, and had a straight through design, and packed with fiberglass. The fiberglass would blow out, and make it louder.They would pop when you let off the gas.
What's a lunch truck?Is it as obvious as a truck that carries lunch to construction crews at job sites?never heard that one before

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen / Team Chevelle # 427 / A.C.E.S. # 1282

[This message has been edited by Doug Garland (edited 11-25-99).]

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to tell you the trusth...it was so long ago that i heard glaspacks that i dont remember how loud they are,,,nuff said...i dont like to hear my engine all the time either...but i do like it to growl when i get on it which mine does...

by the way pictureguy...it is thanksgiving day, 5:20 and Top GUN is just ending on the tube...i posted this thread just a few hours ago and my faithful addict buds have already given me 4 responses... nuff said on that "Is this a form of crack?" topic as well.. LOL

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think it depends on you and your cars personality. Me, I have a strip/street engine in a bright yellow/black stripped car. With that kind of combination I don't want to be sounding quite as a whisper so I run 2-chamber turbo mufflers with a Pete Jackson "loud style" gear drive. Before my ar wa built it was a primered 307 with cherrybomb glasspacks on it that gave it a quite rumble. So you can see the different types of personalities cars can have when giveen a certain sound. Also turbo mufflers are "said" to give more power then glasspacks..
Nate..

------------------
IrateN8
Northern California
1970 Malibu Sport Coupe, Proudly USA (TX) Built
Gen-X Member

·
Registered
167 Posts
I thought I saw an article a while back where someone included a pair of glasspacks in a head-to-head muffler comparison. The glasspacks caused horsepower to be lower than some of the other more popular designs, but only by a small amount. It was always a widely spread speculation that because of all the little louvers inside the glass pack, there was a lot of internal turbulance slowing down exhaust flow, despite the straight through design. My two cents is that they definitely have their place. If I had a 50's car or even an early-mid 60's Impala I'd probably run glasspacks. The sound just seems to me to go with those cars. I friend of mine always soaked new glass packs with fuel oil prior to installing them to speed the process of burning out the fiberglass. Really cool to see him breaking in a new set of glasspacks at night with glowing orange chunks of stuff coming out the pipes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i had a set of flowmaster dual chamber mufflers on my nova and i had a set of cherry bombs on my camaro. the flowmasters sounded completely different. they made a 155,000 350 c.i.d. sound like it was all power. they make a nice "crisp" sound. not the "open" sound that the cherry bombs made. i would go with the flowmasters (or an equal). they cost more, but they are made better and sound better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
to me they sound pretty good until you jump down on the gas pedal , then they get ratty sounding . i agree with SSTEVE L , if i had a late 50's or early 60's big car with all the options like a continental kit and fender skirts , a custom lead sled or even a 4X4 pick up truck , then i would use them . it's a sound i relate to those vehicles .

·
Registered
95 Posts
Personally, my cherry bombs on my chevelle sound pretty good until I gun the engine to about 3-4 grand and let off the gas making the dual 2 and a quarter pipes pop and crack sound. If I had to do over again, I would have installed my bombs farther back from my headers. I have noticed that if the bombs are farther away from the headers, they don't pop and crack. They just rumble and roar. Anyone out there have any more theory on this idea???

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Rich,
why would you use glass pack technology to slow the exhaust gasses, i.e. muffle, when you can use standing/cancellation wave technology across free flow baffles?

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gene i guess you just answered the question...i didnt know that todays mufflers are based on wave technology and sound cancelling rather that mere sound level suppression,... interesting answer...know where i can read up on this technology???

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
421 Posts
I like the Glasspack sound personaly. My mechanic has a 283 66 sedan that sounds down right EVIL with the GP's and 2" pipes so I figure a 350 with headers and 2.5" pipe should "scare the deer away".

As to why would you use them over $60+ muff's; I don't know... could be the $15 each factor

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201 :)
[email protected]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla! <oo=+=oo>
members.aol.com/sniper0666/page/index.html

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes they are cheap but unfortunately the louvers they punch in them also restrict flow, on some cars they sound cool, others sound like a tommy gun, and some sound like a milk truck!
Had 'em on the velle when I first got it and one year for my b-day the neighbors got together and gave me a buck fifty for new exhaust with the stipulation that I got "real" mufflers!
One way to get what you want.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rich, my 16 y.o. son wanted glasspacks on his '71 Nova (350 ci). I told him "No way!"and that if he put them on himself, I would not loan him the money to have his mufflers replaced when the cops pull him over.

So he goes out, gets a job (finally), and with his first paycheck, has a pair of Purple Hornies installed by the local muffler man (total cost: about $60).

I had to eat my words. When he brought me out to hear them, I couldn't suppress my ear-to-ear grin. They sounded NICE - not overly loud or obnoxious, but a bit menacing and definitely rowdy. And no cops - and he's been driving with the glasspacks for almost 4 months now.

But an interesting side story - the muffler guys managed to catch his back seat on fire (see new post in Bench Racing)

·
Registered
313 Posts
GlassPaks:

PRO: Sounds kinda cool when you let OFF the gas after flooring it. You get the trademark glasspak bark.

CON: I always think the guy has a weak small block he is trying to make sound like more than it is. Cop magnet. A pain to live with day to day.

If I make eye contact with the guy who is running them, I make it a point to smile and say "nice mufflers!"
jmw

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.