Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and getting it back as close as possible timing wise when changing manifolds???

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I just mark the distributor housing with a Sharpie showing the rotor's position, and mark the distributor base and manifold the same way showing their relative position.

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
put the motor up to tdc on #1, pull the distributor cap off and mark where the rotor is pointing. pull the distributor out, replace the intake, drop the distributor in so the mark lines up.
so easy a caveman could do it.
just make sure to have your timing light hooked up and ready to go when you fire it back up.

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
I just mark the distributor housing with a Sharpie showing the rotor's position, and mark the distributor base and manifold the same way showing their relative position.
This is the easiest. If you line the marks back up you'll be dead on when you're done.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
This is the easiest. If you line the marks back up you'll be dead on when you're done.
if the manifold is changed the timing mark will no longer be there.

Just try and get the rotation of the body close to original position. You are going to have to reset the timing.

-Bobby-

·
Premium Member
7,604 Posts
I always point the rotor straight ahead when I pull it.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
I also get the rotor pointing straight ahead. I also measure from the tip of the vacuum advance cannister vacuum line fitting straight back to the firewall. If you haven't disturbed the distributor shaft once it has cleared the cam gear when coming out, you can drop the distributor back in using your tape measure to keep the original dimension. The distributor will usually drop right in the first time. Doing it this way, I've been able to fire up the vehicle myself and it is nearly bang on for timing. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
if the manifold is changed the timing mark will no longer be there.

-Bobby-
Oops! I read the reply and missed that part in the original post. Certainly won't work if the manifold is changed, sorry.

If you're changing the manifold rotate engine until the rotor is pointing straight forward or straight back at the firewall. Mark the distributor housing where the rotor is pointing, reinstall the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts