Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just put in the wiring harnesses back in my 70 chevelle and I have a plug left that I cant remember were it goes. Its a black rubber plug (somewhat like the one for the oil sending unit) and has a blue wire. I think is goes on pass. side because its in the area of the starter wires. Also does anyone know what the orange wire is for? I thought it went to the blower motor, but I already have it hooked up. Thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have 71 with air so this may not apply to you, but color codes didn't change much over the years.
If I read your question correctly you are replacing the engine harness. correct? You also have A/C. Correct?
On an A/C car the blower motor is powered by the A/C wiring harness, not the engine harness. all engine harness's came with the power wire for the blower but it is removed during assembly on A/C cars. In short; If you have A/C then you dont need the orange blower wire.
Do you have TCS? If so, then your single blue wire could go to either the TCS selaniod or relay. If not then my only guess would be the wiper motor.

hope this helps

Clark

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
If you have an a/c car, the wire might go to the switch on the back of the compressor if tis on the pass. side.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys, the plug has a brown/black wire not blue. My car has A/C so thanks on the orange wire info! All of the TCS wires are accounted for, I just have this one last plug. Maybe I need to examine the wiring diagram a little better. Thanks Again

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
Squaty,
Your blower motor is held in place by about 6 screws and one of those screws has a terminal under it for the ground wire. Could this plug be for that ground terminal?
And you say all the TCS wires are are accounted for, but how about the one that goes down to the tranny?
The 3 wires (blower, blower ground and TCS to tranny) are all I know of with single plugs on the starter side such as you mention.
Surely it's not the wire with a single plug going to the CI hood, is it?
Just to touch on the orange wire. When I re-taped the wiring harness on my son's 71, I discovered an orange wire, that had been cut off, in the harness that had been covered up by the factory tape. This would have been the blower motor wire for a non-ac car. A factory ac car has a seperate wiring harness for ac which includes a wire for the blower. With the aide of a wiring schematic, it took me a while to figure this out. Anyone else come to this conclusion?

------------------

·
Registered
166 Posts
A 14 or16 gauge brown wire was used for the tach in a guage equipped car. Also, a light brown wire with a rubber boot was used for the brake warning light, which connected to the proportioning valve. Cowl induction used a thin, 20 guage, wire to power the electric flapper door solenoid.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
262 Posts
DZ Auto

On my 71 the orange wire was completely removed from the fire wall connector. I guess different assembly lines did things a little different.

I also have a brown wire connected to the ground terminal on my blower, It doesn't show on the wire diagram but it's there. It goes to the ground post above the a/c relay.

Clark

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Guys, It was the plug to the tranny!! I had to take the starter off and while I was down there I saw were a plug should go on the tranny. Now its all coming back!! Thanks for your help. I will be posting another wiring problem, so I will be needing your help again. Squaty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.