Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys kind of curious what you guys think I could get for my BBC/700r4 combo? I'll list as many details as I can, if I leave something out please ask!

408ci BBC LS3 2 bolt main block from 71 chevelle

Full ARP studs and bolts throughout entirety of engine

rotating assembly: cast crank and rods, speed pro pistons

Camshaft: custom grind HFT designed and installed by Blood Enterprises (Auburn,WA) specifically for this exact engine, made by bullet racing, 232/238 @ .050, 533/550 lift, 108 lobe separation installed at 103ICL.

Top end: Edelbrock Performer RPM AL heads with roller rockers, RPM airgap endurashine intake, Holley ultra hp 750 carb.

This engine has about 3k miles total, and I have about $12k invested including multiple HOURS of dyno tuning. Made 315 rwhp on a pretty conservative dyno, for example: when it was making 262hp on the old carb/cam combo it ran 5 passes between 13.09-13.19, DA corrected 12.85. Car weight is 3920lb w/ driver, Should be good for low-mid 12s now in comparable setup. Have dyno sheet, cam card, and receipt for all work.

Transmission is a built 700r4 to handle 500ft/lbs (have receipt) and 3000 stall.

One benefit to any potential buyer is they can see, hear and drive (well ride) in it.

So what do you guys think about a listing price and realistic price. I'm in no hurry to sell it and would really be testing the waters, so IF I decide to sell it I would start high and see where it goes..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
ok why would you even consider selling ???
thinking about an LSx conversion???

you might be able to get more than 50% back when selling your nice used parts:|
you will need to find some one who just has to have your stuff for their ride,
probably not what you were hoping to hear; but good luck with your sales...

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Keep the engine in the car so you can give potential buyers a ride.

I probably wouldn't push the horsepower angle, too many people have bought into the idea that every engine has 500-600 horsepower, even though its bs. It's probably better to talk ET.

Good luck with your sale.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Hate to say it but I think you'd be lucky to get three grand for it all. Everything is used...with no warranty...and the HP numbers are what a modern 350 can put out.
Also, the 12k invested number means......nothing.

Reactions: Steve R

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I realize I'm not going to get anywhere near what I have into it back, I guess my point is this isn't some thrown together BBC like the average Craigslist motor, I have spent a lot of time ($$) having the engine tuned and tweaked to be a great street/strip engine that is reliable and turns 2200 rpm at 70mph down the hwy. And there is no "modern 350" you can throw into your chevelle that will replicate this engine, although based on the RWHP number I can see why you might think that. The reality is it takes quite a bit of money to build a pretty stout 350 or any sbc for that mater that will run your chevelle down the quarter in the mid 12s.. Sure you could put in an LS that made 400hp from the factory and be in The same ball park but that requires a lot of supporting mods..

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Not that I am in the market at all, but to someone like me, that could never take the time and money to build a new motor, the complete setup would appeal to me. I already have a 700R4 in mine with a stock ZZ4, so other than engine mounts, it would be a fairly straightforward swap and being able to test drive the combo is nice as well. And BB is cooler than SB, so ignoring actual value of what may be in the engine and time/labor dyno tuning it, I could see spending $3k-$5k on the combo after learning more about it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah my optimistic hope was $5-6k for the combo, but I wanted to see what you guys threw out there before I weighed in. My hope would be that seeing it run and going for a ride in it, would sell the power, and would give me the ability to ask get max dollars.. maybe 4K engine 1k trans/converter. The only reason I'm considering this is an acquaintance of mine has a blown 496 he's looking to sell.. I've always wanted a s/c big cube motor.. my trans wouldn't survive behind it so I'm trying to figure out where I'd be starting at with selling my combo. Then I'd probably build a 200r4 to survive behind it..

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
If that is the original block for your Chevelle why not hang on to it? You aren't going to get big money for it so sell off all the parts and trans and keep the block if it is the original block. Going to a blown engine has it's own new set of problems but I'm sure you know that. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I wouldn't sell the trans seperately, a $1,000 used 700R4 no matter how well it worked for you is a huge leap of faith for a potential buyer. Put yourself in the shoes of a buyer, how comfortable would you be to hand that kind of money over to a stranger for used transmission sitting on a garage floor or workbench.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I'm not trying to bust your [email protected], Dan, but my 350 has surpassed your 396 on the dyno. A comparable 383 or 406 will crush your motor...and mine. That's part of the reason 396's have limited appeal.
For 5700 bucks or so, Mark jones can sell you a brand new with warranty 570/580 467 that is superior to your motor in every way.
Used 700Rs are barely worth 500 bucks....on a good day.
Your best bet is to keep both in the car so someone can test drive them. I wish you the best but if you were offered more than 3k, I'd be shocked.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The engine is not orginal to my car so no sweat there. Dyno readings are all different for a number of reasons, imho the 1/4mi is more telling.. I've run with and beaten a fair share of "450hp" sbc, mustangs and more on the street and at the track.. also I wouldn't separate the engine trans unless the offer was too good to refuse, and as mentioned the trans isn't sitting on my garage floor, it's my car and we can go drive it to show that not only is it operational but is built to stand behind the engine and has the stall advertised in it.. I appreciate everyone's input and I'm not trying to argue with you guys. Everyone has their own experiences of trying to sell stuff which usually end in disappoint, I've been there. Maybe I'll see if a straight trade for my engine/trans for his engine is workable..

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I know you are not liking what you are hearing but it is what it is. So if the engine is not the original to your car then you are on the right track. Try and sell the engine and trans together if possible. What you have invested and what people will be willing to pay are going to be far apart. An old two bolt 396 is not in huge demand plain and simple.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
And this is why a Vortec Pro performance (Mark Jones) 468 is a great deal !! I sold my rebuilt 454 (alone) for $2500. It was a junkyard 454 with a mutha thumper cam , no overbore. Just rings and bearing and resealed it. Performer manifold and quadrajet carb. It probably made 400 HP only on pump gas...but no leaks or blow by. A great pump gas motor. I think you could get at least $3000 for that motor...

·
Registered
276 Posts
you want top dollar like others said the rear wheel dyno numbers are no good I am sure an engine dyno would give much better results then the loss you get with a 700r4 and not sure which rear. But I know around here that is $400 again if you are just trying to get into the LS world with 4l80 or a t56 you might don't see why.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I think around $3000 for both if you get lucky. In today's market there is limited appeal to a small inch BBC that makes 300 and some hp. Sorry but that's how it is in the world of cheap 500 inch plus engines that make 600 hp and junkyard LS engines for $1000 that make more power than yours.

I think your buyer is somebody looking for reliability not power, somebody who drives their car a lot and doesn't want to worry about the engine. If you have all the paperwork available and it's in the car running you might sell it.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
If someone saw, rode in it with its appearance be his best bet to get the max. Sure it sounds good makes some torque and looks good.
Dont feel bad OP start high keep dropping it til it sells

Got the same result trying to sell mine yrs ago. At least 12k wrapped up carb to pan in a sbc all I heard was "look at this one for 2995" on ebay some basic pos nothing motor. Please....

Thats just the way it goes. Someone will want it

Make a vid of it stick it on youtube, ebay etc. not sure about CL too many scumbags will want to joyride it then offer you pee for it...on payments.

As they say we spend on these not invest.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's all good I fully expected to hear everything from what I'm hoping for to ppl saying I'd be lucky to get $1500.. Talking about the amount of money invested is more about pointing out the caliber of the build, and the tune tweak rinse and repeat this engine has gone through to make it reliable as it now, this is not some motor thrown together in someone's garage with a bunch of Shiny parts.. Some of you seem under impressed by the peak HP numbers.. that's fine maybe I won't list it in the ad, I'll let the videos and a ride-along do the talking.. if I was looking a motor and trans on 6k budget this would be about the best it gets..

·
Registered
276 Posts
I missed some comments along the way here your dyno sheet probably show more then just peak numbers if you find the right buyer you can sit pretty but as I see it you are looking for more of a quick sale. Me if I had the cash would buy the other engine be picky on the sale. Your 1/4 mile numbers prove that you got numbers through the band not just peak bragging right numbers.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
There has been some pretty strong engines created in peoples garages so I think you are wrong there. Did you pay too much? It sounds like it. If you think $6k is the number you would pay now well you could be your only customer. You don't like what you are hearing, I get that, but you did ask and I think people are being honest with you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm sorry if my garage engine statement apparently offended you, that was not my intent, obviously the right people can build bad ass engines in their garages, but there's a lot of novices trying their best, and for a buyer buying an engine private party that isn't running and driving, like on a stand, from a stranger, there's really no way to tell the difference.. my engine is not that.. I did ask your opinions and I'm not offend by any of them.. I just don't agree with ppl who think they should be able to buy a bbc AND od trans that will run a 4000lb car in the mid 12s for a song and a dance.. I get that there is ppl who claim there engine is this or that without any proof.. I have plenty of pudding to prove what I'm claiming..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts