Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just want your oppinion guys...
ok you walk into the local salvage yard and theres several 454 cores with peanut port heads stacked on the shelves, they are all mark V gen five cores and all 4 bolt blocks, they are garaunteed to have useable and rebuildable BLOCK but every other component is AS IS,and condition is random chance, it might have scored bearings or crank, the block might need a rebore, etc. whats the core worth? ,whats a good or great deal? at what price do you buy several?

and NO! the guys supply no other info and you can,t take them appart for inspection, only the block itselfs rebuildability is garaunteed, your basically buying a GEN V 4 bolt block with a whole bunch of extras of unknown condition,thrown in

·
Premium Member
15,332 Posts
BB prices can vary across the country. IMO here in the PNW the core price for those tyopes of engines is $700-900 and too high. Typically though you can find them on for sale places like craigs list for much less. Last 2 I got were $300-350 but were 2 bolt '73 vintage blocks. Last 4 bolt I saw for sale was $500.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Having built a Gen VI BBC, I have read a lot of info on the GEN V and GEN VI blocks. GEN Vs came with non-adjustable rockers arms (valvetrain) and relatively lowlift cams. If a higher lift cam is desired, you have to convert the Gen V heads to adjustable rockers (ie, new studs, etc). Aftermarket heads, Mark IV or Mark VI heads are not recommended for use on the GEN V blocks due to different water outlet port desgins - however I do believe there is a gasket out now that helps with these issues. I went with a GEN VI block which is also known in GM as the "Mark fix" because the design problems in the Gen V were fixed with the GEN VI. I have a book all about these Gen V and VI motors and I'll gladly give you the info on it if you want. Just not sure if the prices on those blocks you mentioned would be worth the hassle.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first I didn,t mention any prices.
yes I fully agree the peanut port heads are door stops, but the blocks might be a good deal, Im trying to work a package deal on 5-6 engine cores

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
do those blocks have a fuel pump mount?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I don't remember all the issues with gen V blocks, but there are too many for me to consider using one. I'm not saying you can't do it, or it will not hold up, just too many strange things that are unique to that block.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
pretty much everyone agrees that the 502 are good motors that just use to much oil becouse of ring problems.....wouldn't it be easier & cheaper to just buy one of them & rering it ??

·
Registered
672 Posts
I am pretty sure the Gen Vs do not have the fuel pump boss. My Gen VI DOES, but I read that this is somewhat rare as well. I agree with Jbird as well as I already said in my first post here. Too many issues with the Gen Vs for PERFORMANCE usage. For just regular street duty I figure they would be ok.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.