Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I came accross a '66 Elky for sale. I feel the guy selling is asking alot, considering the deal I got on my '72. Maybe El Caminos sell for this much. What's your opinion?

Owner claims it to be an original 396 car and that was replaced by a 283. I did a Vin decode and it did come with a V8, but Elkys that year did not designate the 396. The car is pretty plain, manual steering, manual brakes, no A/C, 4 speed. It does have a 12 bolt rear and 396 flags on the fender. Is there any other way to tell if this is an oringal 396 car?

One good thing, the body is in great shape. Very little, if any rust. The engine runs/drives OK, but could use an upgrade for more power. Asking price is $4200.00

What do you guys think?

Here are some pics:
wcs.winder.com/66ec1.jpg
wcs.winder.com/66ec2.jpg
wcs.winder.com/66ec3.jpg
wcs.winder.com/66ec4.jpg

Thanks for the help,

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
496 EFI/Richmond 6-Speed
[email protected]
www.athenet.net/~chevelle

[This message has been edited by JeffK (edited 10-21-99).]

·
Premium Member
17,525 Posts
One quick way to tell if it is an original Big Block car is to look at the passenger-side front wheel brake line. The metal hardline that runs along the crossmember under the engine. These seldom get replaced, unless it is a full resto. The brake line on a small block car runs up and over the frame rail right where the crossmember is, and the line runs very close to the upper control arm (A-arm).
The big block cars used a different brake line that runs along the crossmember, then turns back toward the firwall for about 8" to 10" where it then comes up and over the frame rail (close to the firewall) then runs back up toward the control arm where it attaches to the brake hose.
You can also look at the frame mounts for the engine, but this is difficult with an engine in place.
Finally, under the rear suspension, there is a brace that runs between the upper and lower control arm bolts (on the frame side).
These are the things I look for when looking at a Big Block El Camino.
With out the 396, its definitely not worth top value, but if it has a nice body and is a 4-speed car, running, it doesn't sound like too bad of a price. But of course is it worth that to you?

·
Premium Member
17,525 Posts
Another thing I noticed about the pictures is the radiator. The radiator looks like a factory chevelle radaitor, but, I might be mistaken, I think all the big block radiators had the filler cap toward the side of the radiator, not in the center where that one appears to be.
The SS hood didnot come on a non-SS car (they look good though), so don't let the owner tell you thats one of the things original on the El Camino.
Also with the obvious "custom" interior (incorrect door panels, steering wheel, seat cover, etc.), the bed cover (which might have ruined the chrome trim around the bed).
$4200 seems a little high, unless you really want an El Camino. Of course, I'm from California, so the "Little rust" doesn't mean alot, price wise.
If you want a '66 El, and you like the car, pick it up. I definitely don't think its a good deal.
Wow, I guess that more than my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
403 Posts
there were no SS elcaminos in this year. There could be a big block, but not an SS.
Still would be a nice car to have but not at that price. $2,500 - $3,000 sounds like top dollar to me.
Mr. D

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 Elcamino
68 RS/SS camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4

·
Registered
283 Posts
$4200.00 is what I got for a 65 two years ago. fresh 327,fresh PG, air (not working), Fresh fleet white paint, custom red interior aluminum wheels. Plain ol' car, but nice,clean dependable.
Note: It was stolen within 3 weeks of purchase, some kid out for a joy ride. The local cops recovered it in hours as it was the only one in town. No damage.
After viewing pics, Looks like 3500.00 or so
wave some hundred dollal bills under his nose, might get it for less. Crawl under and take a good look at the floor pans.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette,71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

[This message has been edited by Harley (edited 10-21-99).]

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
A couple things I noticed. I haven't seen a 66EC with chrome trim that high on the body. Of course I haven't seen every 66EC that came from the factory. Mine, and all the others I have seen with Malibu trim, have a fluted piece on the rocker panel that continues behind the rear wheel. Mine has "Malibu" in script above the glove box. I did notice it has the bright work around the door windows and on the drip rail. One thing, the side mirrors are rectanglar not round, I'm pretty sure they have been changed (Actually, this is a good thing since the round ones are hard to see out of). The "El Camino" name plate on the rear quarter isn't there. My 66 has an "El Camino" name plate in the center of the grill instead of "Chevelle". As Mr. D stated there were no SS ECs in 66. Malibu trim was the high end. This means no black grill.
The 12 bolt is a plus and if original points toward a BB. Check the suspension, has it been rebuild. If so, the value goes up (figure $600-800 for rebuilding the front end w/poly bushing, springs, and steering parts). The original radiator would be a Harrison (raised letters in the top tank). These are all rather small things but mean something when you negotiate.

Without PS or PB (A/C is actually rather rare in ECs of this period) I'd say 2700 to 3500 is about right. If the paint and body are excellent, 4000 come into range.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think Pat is correct on the trim. It looks like 67 trim? They color appears to be a Lemans blue? Not all BB cars came the extra braces in the on the frame-cross support on the rear.
I'm not sure about '66, but in '67 Chevy offered the SS hood on Elcaminos with the 396 engine. It was called a "BIG BLOCK" hood. You could get all of the "SS" trim Except for the badges. Simply put, it was a BIG Block Elcamino.
BUT I think '67 was the first year they did this????

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60E trans
"Canyon Carver"

Susp: Neg. Roll

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys. The owner of the car is out of state for the next week. Since the car is parked outside, he doesn't care if if I give it another close look.

That interesting info on the brake lines. I'll definetly look for that.

This cars been for sale about 6 weeks now. He started at $5800 then dropped his price every week. Maybe I should try a lowball offer and see how bad he wants to get rid of it.

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
496 EFI/Richmond 6-Speed
[email protected]
www.athenet.net/~chevelle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.