Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
your Credit Card Co. keep changing your balance due date?

I think mine is pissed cause they don’t make any money off me, so they they try and trick a late fee out of me.

Every month I pay my bill in full and never carry over any balance. If I can’t afford to pay off the bill I don’t buy it and I’ll do with out and save longer until I can pay for it. Mostly, I use the good ole CC for online purchases to protect myself in case of fraud or a bogus deal.

So here’s how they tricked me to get some money out of me since I refuse to get caught in their “live the life now” and get caught up in the revolving interest trap.

About 2 years ago my credit union sold it’s CC part of the business to a big name bank. Back then, my due date was the 19th of the month all the time. And typically I’d log on a little early and pay it off. Well, after the new bank took over, one month I was real busy and log online to pay the bill on the 18th, what I thought was the day before it’s due, and find out my due date was bumped up few days (16th I think) so now I’m late on my payment. So they nail me for a late fee.

Here I am 2 years later and my charges for last month is now due May 11th . So from what I’m seeing, every few months they advance the due date a day or so and hope to catch me like they did about a year ago.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
They play all kinds of dirty tricks. You have no choice but to play by their rules.

The best way to avoid it is to refuse to play the game.

My CC expired last June, and I never activated the new one. My life hasn't changed much.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had the same prob with one of my cc. They told me that they were entitiled to change the due date at any time for any reason. They said that they established a revolving 30 day cycle that is why the date kept changing. Also, if the due date was to fall on a weekend or holiday, the due date was moved to before the weekend or holiday. Needless to say, they removed the 1 late charge and we no longer do business:yes:

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
the due date of the one credit card I use varies by 1 to 5 days each month. When they send an e-mail that my e-statement is available I login and look at the due date. Haven't missed a due date in over 10 years. Heck, haven't carried a balance or paid interest in 10 years either :) . They can play their game, but I play the game better. But, they get what?, 6% or so off every purchase you make, so they are still collecting money from vendors even if you don't carry a balance. If 6% is true, they made $2700 from vendor fees in 2006 and $2100 in 2007. I use the card to collect Marriott Reward points toward free hotel stays. If I can't pay for an item in full when the bill is due, I don't buy until I have the cash to do so.

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
I've had a GM Mastercard for over 10 yrs and they haven't changed the due date on me. Like you I always pay in full, they have not made a dime off me in all that time. Dump the card and get another one, they're certainly not the only game in town.

EDIT: What's in your wallet, if you actually have a Capitol One card they are the worst. I have never heard anything good about them.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
I got this today but it wont fit in my wallet..:D

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
You guys are cool, I want to be like you someday and not carry balances. We haven't used a card so far this year.

I've changed my tax withholding from my check since the refund was way too huge this time, and been working overtime, but I'm still just barely keeping up. But I have a goal!

I want one day to say this:

I've had a GM Mastercard for over 10 yrs and they haven't changed the due date on me. Like you I always pay in full, they have not made a dime off me in all that time. Dump the card and get another one, they're certainly not the only game in town.
If only all the family and friends would hold off on birthdays, christenings, weddings, graduations and we could skip holidays for the next 5 years, I might be able to make it.

You gotta keep an eye on the CC co's they aren't out to help, they're out to make your money.

K[

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
the due date of the one credit card I use varies by 1 to 5 days each month. When they send an e-mail that my e-statement is available I login and look at the due date. Haven't missed a due date in over 10 years. Heck, haven't carried a balance or paid interest in 10 years either :) . They can play their game, but I play the game better. But, they get what?, 6% or so off every purchase you make, so they are still collecting money from vendors even if you don't carry a balance. If 6% is true, they made $2700 from vendor fees in 2006 and $2100 in 2007. I use the card to collect Marriott Reward points toward free hotel stays. If I can't pay for an item in full when the bill is due, I don't buy until I have the cash to do so.
I do as Alan does with my Discover card and a back up master card except I have them both setup on autopay for the whole amount on the due date. No suprises that way and get to keep my money till the last day!:hurray:

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
oh you guys are missing the best tricks of all ........... in those little notice's they send along with the statements........ the one's in real small print !! buried in there some where is a rate increase !!! or an increase in the late fee's or increase in the cash advance %'s ....

Hell they've got to make up for the housing market going under somehow :clonk:
you know how to tell the bandits from the Robbers ??? the Robbers were better suits !!!

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts

·
Registered
20,389 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
oh you guys are missing the best tricks of all ........... in those little notice's they send along with the statements........ the one's in real small print !! buried in there some where is a rate increase !!! or an increase in the late fee's or increase in the cash advance %'s ....

Hell they've got to make up for the housing market going under somehow :clonk:
you know how to tell the bandits from the Robbers ??? the Robbers were better suits !!!
Anyone that has a CC should know that cash advances are the biggest ripoff ever. Variable interest rate CC's are the norm. I don't even look at the fine print because all I use the card for is to charge it up, pay it off each month, and get my Marriott Reward points :) . I do have a second CC with Chase (the Marriott one is with Chase as well) that is FIXED at 7.99%. I negotiated several years ago for that and they have stayed true to their word. If it converts to variable, and they don't change it back, I'll cancel it. I don't have kids yet, so ask me in 10 years how this no CC balance thing is going. I hope I'll be able to just copy/paste this as a response. I have too many CC's, but I only use one card. I need to just cancel the others.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
If only all the family and friends would hold off on birthdays, christenings, weddings, graduations and we could skip holidays for the next 5 years, I might be able to make it.

Give them hugs. Free, and they mean way more than any material gift.

Tim.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
My dates and rates have never changed on any of my cards and I've had them for 20 years; I guess I've been lucky.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts