Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rookie here, back with more basic questions. Initially, my question was just going to be what a cam is at all, but I picked up the March issue of Chevy High Performance which has a _great_ basic primer on what a cam is and does -- I definitely recommend it for other newcomers like me. What it didn't say, though, was what people mean by "overhead cam" and "double overhead cam." As always, you advice is much appreciated; with all your guys' help, one of these days I'm actually going to know a little about that thing thumping away under the hood.--Rookie

------------------
'72 350 Malibu
Team Chevelle #528

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
It's another one of those things we Chevelle guys don't have to worry about

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's what you get when your oldlady "intercepts" your new thousand dollar full roller valvetrain shipment!

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
79 Corvette
Kerrville,Tx.
A Camel is a Horse designed by a commitee

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
Harley,
Is that a Webster's or a personal definition?

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
good one Harley.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Rookie;

Asking that question on this web page is kind of a mistake!

An overhead cam engine has the cam mounted in the head and not in the block (with push-rods).

As a result, the cam (in most cases) works directly on the top of the valves. In some cases, there is a "bucket" between the cam and the valves that you put shims in to set valve clearance. In some cases, there are rockers involved (like in the Datsun that I had a long time ago).

The big advantage is that there is less "mass" that has to be moved while opening the valves and at high RPM it can really make a difference.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I thought it was the special order one you have waited 3 weeks for, only to have the stock boy put it on the top shelf, and the girl at the counter can only reach the 2nd. shelf!

No Ladder! No stockboy! Only inches between your cam and her fingertips, and she won't let you behind the counter!Something about insurance liability, and he getting fired if the boss saw it!
No, it hasn't happened to me, I just thought it up!

HA!HA! That's an overhead Cam!

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen
Team Chevelle # 427
A.C.E.S. # 1282

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for the info. Sorry it didn't apply to our cars ... I didn't know, I promise!
And Jarret, thanks for the automotive 101 link -- answers a LOT of questions I had. Now I won't have to bug you guys ... or at least not as much....

------------------
'72 350 Malibu
Team Chevelle #528

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.